Freemover at CBS
You can come to CBS as a freemover if:
- you are a university student and your university is not a Danish university
- you do not attend a CBS partner university
- you do not have EU / EEA / Nordic citizenship
Freemovers are required to pay tuition fees for the courses they attend at CBS (see conditions).
EU, EEA, Swiss and Nordic nationals are not admitted as freemovers to CBS. EU, EEA, Swiss and Nordic nationals from universities that are not CBS partners can apply as single course students.
Students coming from a CBS partner university are not admitted as freemovers and are only accepted upon nomination by their home university. In this case, you would be coming to CBS as an exchange student.
|Application deadline||April 30 2024|
August 26 - 30 2024
September 1, 2024
|Exams||Exam dates are announced: September 1, 2024
Exam period: November 2024 - January 2025
|Period of attendance||Period of attendance - what to expect|
- By law, freemovers are required to pay tuition fees to study at CBS. The fees for non-European nationals are as follows:
For the academic year 2023-2024, until June 30 2024, the tuition fees are as follows:
Tuition fee for enrollment in bachelor / undergraduate studies: EUR 11,200 (eleven thousand and two hundred) / DKK 84,000 (eighty four thousand) per year (for one semester the cost is half of this)
Tuition fee for enrollment in Master / graduate studies: EUR 15,200 (fifteen thousand and two hundred) / DKK 114,000 (one hundred and fourteen thousand) per year (for one semester the cost is half of this)
The fee is a flat fee and is not dependent on the number of credits.
For the academic year 2024-2025 the tuition fees are as follows:
Tuition fee per semester for enrollment in Bachelor / undergraduate studies: EUR 6,400 (six thousand and four hundred) / DKK 48,000 (fortyeight thousand)
Tuition fee per semester for enrollment in Master / graduate studies: EUR 8,000 (eight thousand) DKK 60,000 (sixty thousand)
A full year is 60 ECTS credits; one semester is 30 ECTS credits. The fee is a flat fee and is not dependent upon the number of credits.
- We will not be able to sign any Erasmus documents for freemovers (learning agreement, arrival certificate, etc.) as freemovers are not considered Erasmus students at CBS.
If you have paid for the coming semester, but withdraw from your stay before the first day of the welcome week, the tuition fee for the coming semester will be reimbursed. The tuition fee cannot be reimbursed if you withdraw after that.
The first day of the welcome week for the fall 2024 is August 26. Please note that a service fee might be retained by the bank(s) processing the reimbursement.
It is not currently possible to submit an application for the fall 2024. We expect to open the application flow in January 2024. The application deadline is April 30, 2024. If you aim to submit an application, you can prepare the following documents so they are ready to be uploaded in January:
The following documents must be uploaded to your application:
- Letter from home university stating credit transfer will be given for the courses taken at CBS -- please note that only students who need 30 ECTS credits per semester will be accepted as a freemover and students who need fewer than 30 credits cannot be granted permission to study at CBS *
- Letter providing proof of enrollment at home university for the duration of the semester you want to spend with us *
- Your CV/resumé in English
- Color scan of your passport (photo page)
- Your most recent university transcript (with grading scale explanation)
- Results from one of the CBS-approved English proficiency tests listed below
- CAE passed / Level C1 (Certificate in Advanced English, University of Cambridge ESOL examinations)
- CPE passed / Level C2 (Certificate of Proficiency in English, University of Cambridge ESOL Examinations)
- IELTS overall score of minimum 7.0
- Duolingo with a minimum score of 130
- TOEFL iBT score of minimum 94 -- note that we do not accept the TOEFL ITP
In addition, we accept the proficiency tests listed in our English proficiency requirements.
Please note that students who are undertaking a university degree taught entirely in English do not have to provide us with further proof of English proficiency
* Your university may combine these two declarations in one letter
The courses lists will be available at www.cbs.dk/undergrad (undergraduate courses) and www.cbs.dk/grad (graduate courses) from March 2024. Please note that only graduate level students may attend graduate courses.
After we have assessed and accepted your application documents, we will send you an acceptance letter and residence permit application form.
- Non-European students must obtain their residence permit before entering Denmark. The Danish Agency for International Recruitment and Integration (SIRI) has a service goal of 2 months to reach a decision from the date they receive a fully completed application. I.e. if the student submits an incomplete application, the timer resets and the students should again expect 2 months before a decision is reached. Please note that if your citizenship allows you to travel visa-free to Denmark, you can choose to apply for the student residence permit after arrival to Denmark. Doing so will save you one of the application fees involved.
CBS has no influence over Danish diplomatic missions or SIRI, and we cannot speed up the process for any student who applies late. Therefore, it is extremely important that non-European students apply for their residence permits immediately upon receipt of the application form that they will receive from us via e-mail.
- Non-European students must pay two application fees in connection with the residence permit application: one fee to the Danish diplomatic mission where they submit their application (the amount due depends on the consulate/embassy in question) and one fee to SIRI in Copenhagen who will process the application. If the students apply for the permit after arrival they only have to pay the fee to SIRI. For more information about the fee to SIRI, please see the Danish Immigration Service at nyidanmark.dk.