Nomination and application


In order to apply for exchange to CBS, you need to be studying at one of CBS' partner universities listed here. You apply through the study abroad office of your own university. If you are selected for exchange to CBS, your university will nominate you. This is also the case with specific exchange programmes such as CEMS, EMT, Globe and Global. If you are interested in taking a summer course, see CBS Summer University.

You must be a full-time student at CBS. Since a full work load per semester is 30 ECTS credits in total and almost all our courses are 7.5 ECTS, it means that you must sign up for four courses.
We do not allow our exchange students to take only 7.5, 15 or 22.5 ECTS during their exchange period with us. If you are close to graduation and you need to complete less than four courses, you should not select CBS as your exchange destination.

After you have been nominated by your university, you will receive a welcome e-mail from us with general instructions. This may take some weeks. Later on, we will e-mail you the following: your CBS e-mail account, online registration and course application instructions, an official acceptance letter, and your application form for a Danish residence permit/certificate.

Your CBS e-mail and the student intranet, my.cbs.dk, are our mediums for communicating with you.

Application procedure & requirements

Registration and course application is handled online in September/October (for students arriving in January) and March/April (for students arriving in August).

The registration documents that you must upload are: 

  • Your CV/resumé in English. 
  • Colour scan of your passport (photo page only) or EU national identity card stating your citizenship.
  • Your most recently updated university transcript. It must be either an official transcript or a verified unofficial transcript. In the latter case, the transcript must be verified by your university with the name of the signee, a signature and a university stamp appearing in the document.
  • Documentation that you fulfil our English proficiency requirement (see more below). 

Documents must be in English, Italian, French, German, Spanish, Swedish or Norwegian. 

English proficiency requirements

English tests approved by CBS are: 

  • CAE passed / Level C1 (Certificate in Advanced English, University of Cambridge ESOL examinations) 
  • CPE passed / Level C2 (Certificate of Proficiency in English, University of Cambridge ESOL Examinations)
  • IELTS overall score of minimum 7.0
  • TOEFL iBT score of minimum 94 -- note that we do not accept the TOEFL ITP
  • Duolingo score of minimum 130

In addition, we accept the documentation listed in ourPDF icon English proficiency faq 

Note that any proficiency test or documentation other than those listed above or in our English proficiency requirements are not recognised by CBS and will not be accepted for application for exchange. 

Students exempt from providing an English proficiency test 

The only students exempt from providing an English proficiency test result are: 

  • Scandinavian students 
  • Students that have completed, or are undertaking, a university degree taught entirely in English
  • CEMS students
  • University language students if the language is English
  • Students from the French-speaking part of Canada. 


Sidst opdateret: The International Office // 19/04/2024