About CBS

EU/EEA/Swiss citizens

On this site you can find specified information about residence in Denmark for EU, EEA, and Swiss citizens.

Short-term stay (less than 3 months) 
If you are an EU/EEA/Swiss citizen, you have the right to work and stay in Denmark for up to three months without notifying the authorities.

Please note: If your stay in Denmark is less than three months, you will not be able to register as a resident in Denmark (and optain a CPR number). This means that you will not be covered by Danish public health insurance.
Long-term stay (more than 3 months)
If you plan to stay longer than three months, you must apply for EU residence with the Danish Agency for International Recruitment and Integration. If you are bringing your family, they must apply for EU recidence as well (please see the section below).

With the EU recidence document that you will be issued, you will be able to register as a resident with your local municipality and optain a CPR number (Civil registration number).

Read more about registration.

You are always welcome to contact HR International Support if you have any questions.
Accompanying family 
Accompanying family members also need to apply for EU residence.

Your spouse, registered partner, or cohabiting partner as well as your children under the age of 21 still living with you are regarded as family members.

To be regarded as cohabiting partners, you must have lived together for the last 18-24 months prior to your arrival in Denmark. You can prove the cohabitation by showing a rental contract or a shared insurance policy with both names or official communication from banks or utility companies sent to the same address.

You are always welcome to contact HR International Support if you have any questions about the above.
Do you need to extend your EU residence document?
You may stay in Denmark for as long as you continue to meet the conditions under which you originally applied for EU residence. If you have lived in Denmark for more than 5 years, you can apply for a permanent right of residence under the EU rules. 
If you want to stay beyond your employment at CBS
If you wish to stay in Denmark permanently, there is the possibility of permanent residence.

A permanent residence permit entitles you to reside in Denmark, indefinitely, if you have stayed in Denmark according to the EU rules for at least 5 consecutive years and throughout the period have met the conditions for at least one type of ground for residence under the EU rules.

You will have the same rights as your non-permanent EU residence document, with the addition that you no longer need to meet the conditions of your original grounds for residence, such as working or studying. It is the Danish Agency for Internation Recruitment and Integration (SIRI) that processes the application for permanent residence permit.

Here you can read more about the permanent recidence permit.


The page was last edited by: HR // 11/08/2023

HR International Support

HR International Support

HR Services
Copenhagen Business School
Solbjerg Plads 3
2000 Frederiksberg

Email: i-staff.hr@cbs.dk

Useful links for residence as an EU/EEA citizen