About CBS

Moving to Denmark

Smooth arrivals are essential when relocating from one country to another. Here you will find both need-to-know and nice-to-know when preparing for a relocation to Denmark.

About coming to Denmark

When thinking of or preparing for a relocation to Denmark there are a lot of details you need to consider. You may need to apply for a residence permit, figure out what your net salary may be, investigate health insurance possibilities and clarify possibilities for accompanying spouse and children. Here we hope to supply you with some of the overall information you may find useful.

International community

CBS has a very large and active international community as about 40 percent of our faculty staff members are from other countries. Our international staff come together in the CBS International Club which has been around for approximately 20 years and has members from different countries, including Denmark. Originally a grass root organization the club was formed and run by some of the university’s dedicated international staff members.

International Club provides international staff members of all nationalities with an opportunity to meet in an informal setting to share and discuss their experiences with living and working in Denmark. International Club dinners are arranged by members themselves on a regular basis. HR International Support supports the International Club by arranging social and cultural events where spouses and families are welcome. The events span from visits and tours of historical or cultural sites in Copenhagen to the very popular annual Christmas Lunch in December. The International Club is also a cross cultural experience; you can learn not only about Danish culture and traditions, but also the culture and tradition of many other countries.

All new international staff members are invited to be a part of the CBS International Club.

Frequently asked questions

Do I need a work permit to work in Denmark?

Depending on your nationality you may need to apply for a work and residence permit.

  • Nordic citizens are free to work and reside in Denmark
  • EU/EEA citizen and Swiss citizens must apply for a certificate of registration at International house Copenhagen or The Danish Agency for International Recruitment and Integration (SIRI)
  • Third country citizens (non-EU) must apply for a residence and work permit at The Danish Agency for International Recruitment and Integration (SIRI) through an online procedure.

You can read more about residence and work permits here.
You can also find more information about residence and work permits and how to apply on www.nyidanmark.dk.

How would I be taxed in Denmark?

Foreign researchers may qualify for the favorable researcher taxation of 33 percent. To be considered for the researcher taxation you need a PhD and meet a number of other criteria.

If you do not qualify for the researcher taxation you will be taxed according to normal Danish tax rates of approximately 37-44 percent.

You can read more about taxation in Denmark here.


The page was last edited by: HR // 11/01/2023


HR International Support

HR Services
Copenhagen Business School
Solbjerg Plads 3
2000 Frederiksberg

Email: i-staff.hr@cbs.dk

Click to learn more about the services we offer

Useful links

Life in Denmark - is a part of the common public portal in Denmark called borger.dk

Work in Denmark - information for international jobseekers

New to Denmark - the official website of The Danish Agency for International Recruitment and Integration (SIRI)

Denmark.dk - the official website of Denmark