About CBS

Newly Arrived International Staff

When you arrive in Denmark, there are a number of things you need to do in order to get settled. Below you can read more about the steps you need to go through during your first few weeks and months in Denmark.


Arrival 1-4 weeks

Step 1: Register for CPR number and MitID
If you will be staying in Denmark for more than 3 months, you will need to register with the Citizen Service upon arrival in Denmark to get a Civil Registration Number (CPR number) and MitID. The Danish CPR number is used when dealing with public authorities, health authorities, libraries, banks, etc. 

When you have registered for your CPR number, you will receive your yellow health insurance card in your mailbox after 2-3 weeks.

MitID is a common secure login on the internet to use for online banking, to change your address with public authorities or recieving mail from the authories among many other things.

The steps you need to take to register for your CPR number and MitID depend on your nationality.

Read more on how to register in Denmark.
Step 2: Register with the Danish Tax Agency
If you are not eligible for the Researcher Taxation Scheme, you must register for tax online with the Danish Tax Agency for a tax card. The tax card is a virtual, not physical, card. It is set up online.

Read more about tax in Denmark.
Step 3: Open a bank account
Once you have your Civil Registration Number (CPR number) and yellow health insurance card, you can open a Danish bank account.

You will need to register for a Danish bank account within 90 days after arrival. The process may take several weeks.

Read more about how to open a bank account.
Step 4: Log on to Digital Post
When you have your Civil Registration Number (CPR number) and MitID, you can log on to your Digital Post.

Digital Post is a platform that gives you access to mail from the public authorities. You will automatically be registered for Digital Post when you register with Citizen Service for your Civil  Registration Number (CPR number).

It is important that you check your Digital Post, so you don't miss important  mail from the public authorities. The mail you receive in Digital Post may be letters from the hospital, pension statements, changes to housing benefits, replies to applications for childcare, letters from the Danish Tax and Customs Administration and your salary statement from CBS.

Read more about Digital Post.
Step 5: Register your car
If you take up residence in Denmark and bring a vehicle, it is recuired by law that you register your foreign registered vehicle within 30 days of arrival and pay a registration tax. The expenses in relation to bringing your car to Denmark are considerable, and for this reason many people choose not to bring their car with them to Denmark.

Can I drive in Denmark without registering my car?
If you are staying in Denmark for a limited period of up to 185 days, you may drive a foreign registered vehicle during your stay without paying the registration tax.

If your stay exceeds 185 days, but you are on a fixed-term assignment in Denmark, you may pay a portion of the normal vehicle registration tax on a quarterly basis.

Read more about foreign vehicles and how to register your car.

Liability insurance
If you own a motor vehicle in Denmark, you are required by law to take out liability insurance on the vehicle. Read more about liability insurance for motor vehicles.


Within 8 weeks

Step 6: Take out unemployment insurance (optional)
In Denmark, insurance against unemployment is voluntary. If you want to be insured against unemployment, you must apply for admission into an unemployment insurance fund (a-kasse).

However, please read more about unemployment insurance and benefits. Especially non-EU citizens may have difficulty in using the unemployment insurance system, as you may not be eligible for unemployment benefits.


Within 90 days

Step 7: Exchange driving licence (for non-EU/EEA driver's licenses only)
Driving licenses issued in a non-EU/EEA country
When relocating to Denmark with a non-EU/EEA driver's license, you may be required to exchange your license for a Danish equivalent within 90 days and complete a driving test (consisting of a theoretical and practical part) prior to the exchange. It depends on where your driving license was issued whether you need to change the license or not.

Driving licenses issued in an EU/EEA country
You do not need to convert a driver's license issued in an EU country, Iceland, Lichtenstein or Norway.

Where and how to exchange your driving license
You can obtain a Danish driving license at your local Citizen Service (Borgerservice).

You must bring along a number of documents. If your current license is not in the Latin alphabet, you must present a certified translation of the license. If you have any questions, or need to find a certified translater, contact your local Citizen Service for help.

For more details on the process of exchanging your license see LifeinDenmark or Færdselsstyrelsen.


No deadline

Step 8: Take out private insurance
When you have a Civil Registration Number (CPR number), you can take out Danish private insurance. While most vital services are covered by the public healthcare system in Denmark, most Danes also take out private liability, home contents, accident, and travel insurance. In addition to these, it is mandatory by law to have a third party insurence if you own a car.

Read more about insurance.
Step 9: Learn Danish
When you have a Civil Registration Number (CPR number), you can sign up to learn Danish. 

You can take Danish language courses through the municipality or you can choose other ways to learn Danish. It is free to take Danish courses through the municipality, you can also find other ways to take free Danish classes.

Read more about Danish language courses and see Københavns Kommune for more information.
Step 10: Choose dentist
In Denmark, there is a partial charge for dental care. You have to pay for check-ups and treatment, but part of the bill is government funded. This amount is automatically deducted from your bill. You are free to choose any dentist. 

Children and young people below 18 years of age are entitled to free dental treatment.


If children

Step 11: Sign up children for childcare and school
The vast majority of children under the age of 6 are looked after by a childminder or a nursery from Monday to Friday. It is the task of the municipal authorities to provide day care facilities, and the options vary from municipality to municipality. It is your job to contact the municipal authorities to book a daycare spot for your child. In order to sign up for childcare, you need a Civil Registration Number (CPR number) for your child and an address in Denmark.

Read more about childcare.

Primary and lower secondary education
In Denmark, education is mandatory for children aged 6-16. Education is free at state or public schools (Folkeskole). It is also possible for your child to attend private schools (including international schools), which cost a monthly fee. Most children begin school in August the year they turn 6 years old. You must digitally enroll your child as a student at a municipal primary and lower secondary school.

Read more about school and enrollment to start school on LifeinDenmark.


The page was last edited by: HR // 11/08/2023

HR International Support

HR International Support

HR Services
Copenhagen Business School
Solbjerg Plads 3
2000 Frederiksberg

Email: i-staff.hr@cbs.dk

Useful links

Life in Denmark - is a part of the common public portal in Denmark called borger.dk

Work in Denmark - information for international jobseekers

New to Denmark - the official website of The Danish Agency for International Recruitment and Integration (SIRI)

Denmark.dk - the official website of Denmark