About CBS

Leaving Denmark (what you need to do before)

There are several steps to take when leaving Denmark. On this site you can find an overview to help you with the process.

Public authorities

Deregister from the national register
When you leave Denmark for more than six months or give up your residence, you must deregister from the national register (Det Centrale Personregister or CPR) before you leave Denmark. You can do this online at lifeindenmark.dk

No sooner than one month before your departure, you need to deregister with your municipality.

When you deregister, your CPR number will no longer be active and you cannot use your yellow health insurance card. You should destroy your yellow health insurance card immediately upon leaving Denmark. Or you can return it to the municipality, who will destroy it for you.

Read more on lifeindenmark - practical matters before you leave.
Deregister your car
If you have a car registered in Denmark, you will need to deregister the vehicle in Denmark when you leave. In certain cases, you may be entitled to a refund of the registration fee. It is also possible to buy a new car with border plates (no tax or VAT).

Read more about exporting vehicles.
Destroy your residence card - Non EU/EEA citizens only
Non EU/EEA citizens who hold a residence card must destroy the card upon leaving Denmark. The card should be destroyed if you are leaving Denmark permanently and if the card is no longer valid. Please make sure to destroy the card completely. The card should be destroyed immediately upon leaving Denmark.
Keep your MitID?
When you leave Denmark, you might choose to keep your MitID if you still need to access self-service solutions in Denmark like e-boks (e.g. salary statements and tax statements).

If you do not need to log on to self-service solutions in Denmark, you might not need to keep your MitID. 
Notify the Danish Tax Agency
When you leave Denmark it is your job and your place of residence to determine to which country you have to pay tax.

You are recommended to call the Tax Agency on +45 72222892 once you have left Denmark and deregistered from the Danish National register (Det Centrale Personregister or Folkeregisteret).

If possible, the Tax Agency will determine your tax liability instantly and let you know which documents you need to submit to the Tax Agency in connection with your leaving Denmark.

Notify the Danish Tax Agency when leaving Denmark permanently.

Bank and insurance

Check your social security rights
Leaving Denmark entails a number of changes to your rights. When you have been registered in the Civil Registration System (CPR) as relocated to another country, you simultaneously lose your social security in Denmark.

Therefore, before you leave Denmark, you should check which social rights you will have in the country to which you are moving.

Moving to another EU country
When you leave Denmark to live in another EU country, some EU countries require documentation that you have been covered by social security in Denmark in order for you to be covered by social security in their country.

The E104 form proves that you were covered by Danish national healthcare, and will shorten any waiting period to join the host country's healthcare. Only people who are leaving Denmark and have deregistered with the Citizen's Service can obtain the form. You get the form by contacting the public authorities in your home country, who should send the E104 form to Udbetaling Danmark. Udbetaling Danmark is the authority who administers questions related to social security and international health insurance in Denmark. They will then send the E104 form to the public authiorities in the home country.

For more information about international social security, please contact Udbetaling Danmark, tel.: +45 7012 8051.
Notify your Danish bank 
If you have opened an account in a Danish bank, you should notify the bank of your relocation and check the possibilities of perhaps keeping your account open for approximately one year in case you receive reimbursements, e.g. for utilities, tax or deregistration fees.

You need a NemKonto when you leave Denmark if you wish to receive reimbursements from the state. If you do not wish to keep your Danish bank account, you need to have your foreign account registered as a NemKonto. This is a timely and complicated process. Therefore, we advise you to keep your Danish bank account, until all matters related to the relocation has been settled.

In some cases your bank will let you know that they will close your account shortly after you do not recieve any more salary etc in Denmark. We still suggest you ask them about the possibility to keep the account until matters have been settled.

Read more on lifeindenmark - Practical matters before leaving.
Contact your insurance company
You should also contact your insurance company to terminate your insurances and ask about your insurance coverage in connection with the relocation.
Transfer periods of unemployment insurance (for employed staff and EU/EEA citizens only)
Upon leaving Denmark, you may transfer your periods of employment and unemployment insurance from Denmark to another EEA country. This will be possible if you have been employed and insured against unemployment in Denmark.

Non EU/EEA citizens cannot transfer periods of employment and unemployment insurance from Denmark to another EEA country.

However, if you move to one of the other Nordic countries, it will be possible to transfer earned rights from Denmark.

Read more about transferring unemployment benefits.


Pay and pension

Settle your holiday allowance (for employed staff only)
If you resign from your position to move abroad, CBS will pay the amount due for your ordinary holidays directly to you. Payment requires documentation that you have deregistered from the CPR register.

Outstanding special holidays will be paid directly to you.

If you do not leave Denmark immediately after you resign your position at CBS, your holiday pay will be transfered to your Feriekonto. From Feriekonto you can then apply to have it paid out when you take holiday. If you leave Denmark later, you can then ask Feriekonto to pay out the leftover holiday allowance.

Read more about holiday allowance.

Please let CBS know if you are planning on leaving Denmark when you resign your position.
Settle your pension (for employed staff only)
You can have your pension paid out abroad if you no longer live in Denmark. 

We recommend that you contact your pension fund for information and guidance on what to do about your pension when you leave Denmark.


The page was last edited by: HR // 11/06/2023

HR International Support

HR International Support

HR Services
Copenhagen Business School
Solbjerg Plads 3
2000 Frederiksberg

Email: i-staff.hr@cbs.dk

Useful links

Life in Denmark - is a part of the common public portal in Denmark called borger.dk

Work in Denmark - information for international jobseekers

New to Denmark - the official website of The Danish Agency for International Recruitment and Integration (SIRI)

Denmark.dk - the official website of Denmark