The CBS Africa Initiative plans to host a series of events during the next couple of years. The programme has yet to be finalised but is expected to include:
Each semester, 2-3 workshops are organized for the members of the Initiative. During the autumn semester of 2018, for instance, workshops focused on contributions to the Africa Journal of Management (AJoM) as well as on presenting ongoing projects of the Initiative.
Seminars are organized for external key stakeholders. Examples of topics include: ‘SDGs and Danish Private Investments in Africa’ (a discussion with private and public actors on their contribution to SDGs where they share experiences on how to move further with the achievement of global goals) and ‘Promoting Development through Partnership Projects in Africa’ (with presentations by Danish companies, interested associations and civil society organisations operating in the African continent).
A conference on the topic ‘Africa in Business – Business in Africa (ABBA)' will be organized for the summer 2021. The conference will present research on Africa conducted not only by CBS research departments but also by scholars aroun the world. It will showcase teaching initiatives on Africa from CBS and elsewhere, as well as highlight funding and investment initiatives from a range of different stakeholders (from private firms to foundations, public institutions and international organizations). Moreover, existing and planned activities within CBS and with external parties will be promoted. The conference will include keynote presentations, break-away sessions, poster sessions, video presentations and much more.
Past activities with participation by CBS Africa Initiative members:
Members of the Initiative participate in a wide range of activities related to research and outreach about Africa, both at CBS and beyond. Some of these are listed below:
- CBS Africa Initiative seminar on 'New Research', Copenhagen Business School, 21 May, 2019 - With Presentations on 'Advancing Creative Industries for Development in Ghana', by Thilde Langevang and Ana Alacovska, MSC; on 'Crowdfunding for Youth Entrepreneurship in Tanzania', by Lars Bo Jeppesen, SI; on ‘Everyday Humanitarianism in Tanzania', by Lisa Ann Richey, MSC; on 'Grassroots Innovations for Inclusive Economic Growth. Kenya', by Ester Barinaga, MPP. Read more about the seminar on the event page.
- CBS Africa Initiative extraordinary workshop, Copenhagen Business School, 8 May, 2019 - Organised by Michael W. Hansen. Meeting with Johannes Traerup, founder of Social Bites. Participants received insights about BOP entrepreneurial activity in Kenya.
- CBS Africa Initiative seminar, Copenhagen Business School, 25 April, 2019 - The activity of the Danish Impact Business Network was presented together with the business ventures of four graduates-cum-entrepreneurs giving insights regarding their vision(s) as part of their Africa focused initiatives. Read more about the seminar on the event page.
- News From the Field - April 2019 - BLC students in Uganda: 24 BLC students are currently in Uganda where they are doing field research together with students from Makerere University Business School (MUBS). Read about their experiences on their blog: https://experiencethefield.home.blog/. - The course (i.e. the elective course "Field Study: Entrepreneurship and Private Sector Development in Uganda") is coordinated by Søren Jeppesen and Thilde Langevang from MSC together with Rebecca Namatovu and Sarah Kyejussa from MUBS.
- Africa Initiative seminar with Dr Kate Wright, University of Edinburgh on 'Digital Humanitarianism in Africa' - presentation followed by open discussion and a short reception.
8 March, 2019. Organised with the Commodifying Compassion Project and the Centre for Business and Development Studies. Read more about the seminar on the event page.
- Participation in the annual CAE conference, Center of African Economics, Roskilde University, 3-4 December, 2018
Presenters from CBS/MSC: Lisa Ann Richey, Stefano Ponte, Michael W. Hansen and Søren Jeppesen.
- Africa Initiative workshop on ‘Management Practices in Africa’, Copenhagen Business School, 15 November, 2018
Organised by Michael Moll (CBS/SI), with presentations by Daniela Scur (London School of Economics) and David Zoogah (Xavier University).
- Africa Initiative project seminar on ‘The Firm in the Informal Economy’, Copenhagen Business School, 11 October, 2018
With presentations by Marcus M. Larsen (CBS/SI), Caroline Witte (CBS/SI), Selorm Ableze (CBS/SI) and Kent Jensen (LO-FTF Council).
- Africa Initiative project seminar on ‘New Partnerships for Sustainability in Africa (NEPSUS)’, Copenhagen Business School, 17 September, 2018
With presentations by Asubisye Mwamfupe (University of Dar es Salaam), Christine Noe (University of Dar es Salaam), Stefano Ponte (CBS/MSC).