Department of Digitalization
Ben Eaton is an Assistant Professor at the Department of Digitalization, Copenhagen Business School in Denmark. He is also and a visiting associate professor at the Department of Technology, Kristiania University College in Oslo, Norway. He has a PhD in Information Systems from the London School of Economics and Political Science and an MBA from INSEAD. Before entering academia, he had 15 years management experience working within large telecommunications companies and small internet start-ups in a variety of roles concerning the innovation of digital products and services. Consequently, his research specialization concerns how organisations can establish environments for the successful innovation of digital services to sustain their businesses using digital platforms. His research has a practical focus and has consequently been sponsored by organisations such as Telenor AS, and industry consortiums such as the Mobile Virtual Centre of Excellence (MobileVCE.com). His research has been published in highly regarded journals such as MIS Quarterly, MISQ Executive, the Journal of Strategic Information Systems and the Journal of IT. Finally his PhD thesis, concerning Apple's model of platform innovation, won the prestigious ACM SIGMIS doctoral dissertation competition in 2013.
- Innovation and Management of Digital Platforms and Plaform Services
- Innovation and Management of Digital Infrastructures
- National Systems for Electronic Identity
- Qualitative Approaches to Collecting and Analyzing Online Data
- Innovation Strategies in a Digital World
- Internet of Things
- Strategic and Tactical Tools for E-Business
- Digital platforms and platform services
- Digital business models
- Innovation of digital service, platforms and infrastructures
- Eaton, B., Hedman, J. and Medaglia, R. (2017). Three Different Ways to Skin a Cat: Financialization in the Emergence of National e-ID solutions. Journal of Information technology, pp. 1-14.
- Eaton, B., Elaluf-Calderwood, S., Sorensen, C., & Yoo, Y. (2015). Distributed Tuning of Boundary Resources: The Case of Apple's iOS Service System. Management information Systems Quarterly, 39(1), 217-243. Nominated fir the European Research Paper of the Year 2016 CIOnet.
- Eaton, B., Hallingby, H. K., Nesse, P. J., & Hanseth, o. (2014). Achieving Payoffs from an Industry Cloud Ecosystem at BankID. MISQ Executive,13(4).
- Kietzmann, J., Plangger, K., Eaton, B., Heilgenberg, K., Pitt, L., & Berthon, P. (2013). Mobility at work: A typology of mobile communities of practice and contextual ambidexterity. The Journal of Strategic Information Systems, 22(4), 282-297.
In: Government Information Quarterly, Vol. 37, No. 3, 7.2020
In: MIS Quarterly Executive, Vol. 19, No. 2, 6.2020, p. 105-120
In: Information and Communication Technologies for Development. Strengthening Southern-Driven Cooperation as a Catalyst for ICT4D: Proceedings of ICT4D 2019. Part I. . ed. /Petter Nielsen; Honest Christopher Kimaro. Cham : Springer 2019, p. 319-330
In: Proceedings of the 49th Annual Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences, HICSS 2016. ed. /Ralph H. Sprague; Tung X. Bui. Loa Alamitos, CA : IEEE 2016, p. 4634-4643 (Proceedings of the Annual Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences)
In: Proceedings of the 49th Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences (HICSS 2016). ed. /Ralph H. Sprague; Tung X. Bui. Loa Alamitos, CA : IEEE 2016, p. 1287-1296 (Proceedings of the Annual Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences)
In: Proceedings of the 49th Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences (HICSS 2016). ed. /Ralph H. Sprague; Tung X. Bui. Loa Alamitos, CA : IEEE 2016, p. 1297-1306 (Proceedings of the Annual Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences)
In: M I S Quarterly, Vol. 39, No. 1, 2015, p. 217-244, A1-A12
In: M I S Quarterly Executive, Vol. 13, No. 4, 2014, p. 223-235
In: Journal of Strategic Information Systems, Vol. 22, No. 4, 2013, p. 282-297
- External Associate Professor (20% position), Høyskolen Kristiania, Oslo, Norway
- Consultant at Surrey Innovations Ltd., UK