Department of International Economics, Government and Business
My research focuses on global innovation, specifically, how organizations overcome and leverage distance to innovate successfully. This research helps firms capitalize on their innovation potential, especially technology and R&D-related opportunities, in the context of changing global markets, emerging competitors, and disruptive technologies.
I am Managing Director of the Research Center for Global R&D and Innovation (GLORAD), a network I founded in 2003 to facilitate joint research for PhD students at Tsinghua and the University of St. Gallen. The network has since grown to include researchers in Silicon Valley, Brazil, Russia, and Europe. I have visiting faculty appointments at KTU in Lithuania, USP in Sao Paulo, and SDU in Odense, Denmark. Previously, I was a professor of technology management at Tsinghua University in Beijing, Skoltech in Moscow, and IMD in Lausanne. I also was a vice president/associate partner with PRTM Management Consultants in Shanghai, and I ran (and later sold) a technology intelligence firm I founded in Hong Kong and Shanghai. After obtaining a PhD from the University of St. Gallen and a MSc in Computer Science from ETH Zurich, I was a postdoc at Harvard University.
At CBS, I look for students and companies wanting to expand their international innovation competencies, especially in regards to emerging markets such as China and India, and make them proficient in engaging global customers and competitors. I also look for students willing to explore how to leverage responsible innovation, frugal innovation, and reverse innovation, in order to contribute to social and ethical value creation.
- Global R&D and innovation, emerging market innovation
- Operational strategies in MNCs
- Corporate incubation and corporate venturing
- Doing business in / with China
- Responsible, frugal, and reverse innovation
- Ethical and social value creation
- Global Strategy, Technology, and Innovation (BA-BINBO1144U)
- Strategy Execution (DIP-DIBUO1003U)
- Doing Business in China and Asia-Pacific (BA-BIBAV1011U)
- I also teach courses on technology and innovation management, product development, entrepreneurship and incubation, and international management
I have some capacity to supervise graduate thesis work in my key research areas. I also supervise PhD students as either director or co-director.
- Prud’homme, D.; von Zedtwitz, M. (2019). Managing Risks from “Forced” Technology Transfer in Emerging Markets. Journal of International Management 25, 3.
- Prud’homme, D.; von Zedtwitz, M. (2018): The Changing Face of Innovation in China. MIT Sloan Management Review 59, 3, 24-32.
- Jang, S.; Kim, J.W., von Zedtwitz, M. (2017): The importance of spatial agglomeration in product innovation: A microgeography perspective. Journal of Business Research 78, 143-154.
- Zhu, A.; von Zedtwitz, M.; Assimakopoulos, D.; Fernandes, K.J. (2016): The Impact of Organizational Culture on Concurrent Engineering, Design-for-Safety and Product Safety Performance. International Journal of Production Economics, 176, 69-81.
- von Zedtwitz, M.; Corsi, S.; Soberg, P.; Frega, R. (2015): A Typology of Reverse Innovation. Journal of Product Innovation Management, 32, 1, 12-28. (Winner of the 2016 Thomas P. Hustad prize for best paper in JPIM.)
- Keupp, M.; Friesike, S.; von Zedtwitz, M. (2012): How Do Foreign Firms Patent in Emerging Economies with Weak Appropriability Regimes? Archetypes and Motives. Research Policy, 41, 8, 1422-1439.
- von Zedtwitz, M.; Gassmann, O. (2002): Market versus Technology Drive in R&D Internationalization: Four different patterns of managing research and development. Research Policy, 31, 4, 569-588.
- Gassmann, O.; von Zedtwitz, M. (1999): New Concepts and Trends in International R&D Organization. Research Policy, 28, 231-250.
In: Technological Forecasting and Social Change, Vol. 184, 11.2022
Paper presented at 16th Vaasa Conference on International Business, 2021
Paper presented at R&D Management Conference 2021, 2021
Paper presented at The 28th Innovation and Product Development Management Conference. IPDMC 2021, 2021
In: IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management, Vol. 68, No. 6, 2021, 3 p., p. 1543-1545
In: The Oxford Handbook of China Innovation. ed. /Xiaolan Fu; Bruce McKern; Jin Chen. New York : Oxford University Press 2021, p. 486-501
Paper presented at 22nd International CINet Conference, 2021
In: Innovation from Emerging Markets: From Copycats to Leaders. . ed. /Fernanda Cahen; Lourdes Casanova; Anne Miroux. Cambridge : Cambridge University Press 2021, p. 185-221
In: Proceedings of the IFKAD 2020: Knowledge in Digital Age. Matera2020, p. 705-717 (Proceedings IFKAD)
In: Proceedings of ISPIM Connects Global 2020: Celebrating the World of Innovation. Manchester2020
In: Proceedings of the Eightieth Annual Meeting of the Academy of Management. ed. /Guclu Atinc. Briarcliff Manor, NY : Academy of Management 2020, 1 p. (Academy of Management Proceedings)
In: Journal of International Management, Vol. 25, No. 3, 9.2019
In: Research Technology Management, Vol. 61, No. 3, 2018, p. 27-28
3.ed.Cham : Springer 2018, 179 p.
In: Research Technology Management, Vol. 61, No. 3, 5.2018, p. 29-37
In: Journal of Engineering and Technology Management - JET-M, Vol. 49, 7.2018, p. 4-21
Cham : Springer 2018, 150 p. (Innovation, Technology and Knowledge Management)
In: MIT Sloan Management Review, Vol. 59, No. 4, 6.2018, p. 24-32
In: Knowledge Management and Organizational Learning: Cross-Sectoral Insights into the Future of Competitive Advantage. . ed. /Elena-Mădălina Vătămănescu; Florina Magdalena Pînzaru. Cham : Springer 2018, p. 169-188 (Knowledge Management and Organizational Learning, Vol. 6)
In: Technological Forecasting and Social Change, Vol. 134, 9.2018, p. 150-168
In: Research Technology Management, Vol. 60, No. 3, 2017, p. 40-47
In: Globalization and Health, Vol. 13, No. 1, 25.1.2017
In: Journal of Business Research, Vol. 78, 9.2017, p. 143-154
In: Open Innovation Research, Management And Practice. ed. /Joe Tidd. : World Scientific 2013, p. 213-233 (Series on Technology Management, Vol. 23)
- Frugal innovation
- Reverse innovation
- China innovation
- Global R&D management
- 2019 - ongoing: KTU Doctoral Committee, Teaching and PhD supervision - Kaunas University of Technology, Lithuania
- 2019 - 2021: 20% Part-time Full Professor - SDU University of Southern Denmark