Institut for Organisation
Organizational learning and adaptation are running themes in my research focusing on; a) sensemaking and sensegiving in organizations, as exemplified in my research on crowd safety management, and b) organizational improvisation. Another research interest is innovation and knowledge processes in organizations. This research formed the basis for my position as lead-developer of the executive program - Master in Leadership and Innovation in Complex Systems (LAICS), which took off in 2006.
I am the co-founder and CBS-coordinator of Copenhagen Center for Disaster Research (COPE), established in the autumn of 2012, in collaboration between Copenhagen Business School and University of Copenhagen.
From September 1. to November 30., my office hours are Wednesday from 2 pm. to 4 pm. This will usually also be the hours where I answer incoming mails regarding administrative issues and handled inquiries about supervision.
- Corporate Reputation
- Crisis Management
- Crowd Safety Management
- Improvisation in Organizations
- Management of Innovation
- Organizational Learning and Adaptation
- Sensemaking and Sensegiving in Organizations
- Member of Board of Directors for Nordic Academy of Management
- Member of Expert Panel for Business Administration, The Danish Bibliometric Research Indicator
- Member of the Steering Committee for Master in Leadership and Innovation in Complex Systems (LAICS)
- Member of International Editorial Board for Management Learning
- Member of Editorial Board for Scandinavian Journal of Management
- Ph.D.-Coordinator at Department of Organization, Copenhagen Business School
- Coordinator of Organization & Management course in the B.Sc. program in Business Administration and Management Science, Copenhagen Business School
- Coordinator of Elective Courses offered by Department of Organization in the B.Sc. program in Economics and Business Administration, Copenhagen Business School
Chairman and member of assessment committees for Ph.D.-stipends, assistant- and associate professorships, and Ph.D.-dissertations at: Babson College, Brunel University, Copenhagen Business School, Technical University of Denmark, Universiti Putra Malaysia (Graduate School of Management), University of Edinburgh (Business School), University of Southern Denmark, and University of Aarhus (School of Education and Aarhus School of Business).
Crisis Management, CBS Global Executive MBA program
Perspectives in Organizational Analysis. Doctoral School of Organization and Management Studies.
Organization and Environment. B.Sc. program in Business Administration and Psychology.
Creating Space for Innovation. Master in Leadership and Innovation in Complex Systems.
Signe Bruskin. Project title: Making Sense of Organizational Change.
Katharina Christiane Jeschke (Susanne Boch Waldorff act as primary supervisor) Project title: Safety Cultures in Organizations: How the Management influence Safety in Construction Industry.
Michael Simon Nixon (John Sahl Andersen, University of Copenhagen, acted as primary supervisor). Thesis title: Organising Medication Discontinuation – The Decision Making Processes of GPs when Discontinuing Statins. Thesis defended February 6th 2015.
Peter Holm Jacobsen (Erik Axel, Roskilde University, acted as primary supervisor). Thesis title: Situated Learning in Design Projects - An Ethnographic Study of a Process Competition at Carlsberg. Thesis defended February 7th 2014.
Christine Secher (Peter Kjær acted as secondary supervisor). Thesis title: E-participation in Practice – the politicians’ and the administrators’ co-construction and its consequences. Thesis defended February 4. 2010.
Frederikke Krogh-Meibom (Jesper Strandgaard Pedersen acted as secondary supervisor). Thesis title: The Co-Evolution of Institutions and Technology – A Neo-Institutional Understanding of Change Processes within the Business Press - the Case of Financial Times. Thesis defended on December 22. 2008.
Annemette Leonhardt Kjærgaard (Niels Bjørn-Andersen acted as secondary supervisor). Thesis title: Knowledge Management as Internal Corporate Venturing – a Field Study of the Rise and Fall of a Bottom-Up Process. Thesis defended on May 11. 2004.
- Lauta, K. C., Vendelø, M. T., Sørensen, B. R., & Dahlberg, R. (2018) Conceptualizing Cold Disasters: Disaster Risk Governance at the Arctic Edge. International Journal of Disaster Risk Reduction, vol. 31, pp. 1276-1282.
- Constantiou, I., Shollo, A., & Vendelø, M. T. (2016) Making Space for Intuition in Decision Making: The Case of Project Prioritization. In: K. J. Sund, R. J. Galavan & A. S. Huff (eds.) Uncertainty and Strategic Decision Making, New Horizons in Managerial & Organizational Cognition Series. Bingley: Emerald, pp. 147-169.
- Vendelø, M. T. (2016) Disasters in the Sensemaking Perspective: The Præstø Fjord Accident. In: R. Dahlberg, O. Rubin and M. T. Vendelø (eds.) Disaster Research – Multi-disciplinary and International Perspectives. Routledge Humanitarian Studies Series. London: Routledge, pp. 177-188.
- Dahlberg, R., Rubin, O., & Vendelø, M. T. (eds.) (2016) Disaster Research – Multidisciplinary and International Perspectives. London: Rutledge.
- Leybourne, S., Lynn, G., and Vendelø, M. T. (2014) Forms, Metaphors and Themes: An Introduction to the Special Issue on Organizational Improvisation. Creativity & Innovation Management, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 353-358.
- Vendelø, M. T. and Rerup C. (2011) Sensegiving and Crowd Safety after the Pearl Jam Concert Accident. Paper presented at the Academy of Management Meeting, San Antonio, Texas, August 12. – 16., pp. 1-37.
- Vendelø, M. T. (2009) Improvisation and Learning in Organizations – an opportunity for future empirical research. Management Learning, vol. 40, no. 4, pp. 449-456.
- Vendelø, M. T., and Rerup, C., (2009) Weak Cues and Attentional Triangulation: The Pearl Jam Concert at Roskilde Festival. Paper presented at the Academy of Management Meeting, August 7. - 11. 2009. Chicago, Illinois, pp. 1-38.
- Augier, M., Shariq, S. Z., and Vendelø, M. T. (2001) Understanding Context: Its Emergence, Transformation and Role in Tacit Knowledge Sharing. Journal of Knowledge Management, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 125-136. (Received Highly Commended Paper Award from Emerald Literati Club in 2002)
- Augier, M., and Vendelø, M. T. (1999) Networks, Cognition and Management of Tacit Knowledge. Journal of Knowledge Management, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 252-261. (Received Outstanding Paper Award from Emerald Literati Club in 2000)
- Vendelø, M. T. (1998) Narrating Corporate Reputation: Becoming Legitimate Through Storytelling. International Studies of Management & Organization, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 120-137.
I: International Journal of Disaster Risk Reduction, Vol. 31, 2018, s. 1276-1282
I: ECIS 2017 ProceedingsAtlanta, GA : Association for Information Systems. AIS Electronic Library (AISeL) 2017, s. 1663-1677 (Proceedings of the European Conference on Information Systems)
Abingdon : Routledge 2016, 256 s. (Routledge Humanitarian Studies)
I: Disaster Research: Multidisciplinary and International Perspectives. . red. /Rasmus Dahlberg; Olivier Rubin; Morten Thanning Vendelø. Abingdon : Routledge 2016, s. 1-17 (Routledge Humanitarian Studies)
I: Disaster Research: Multidisciplinary and International Perspectives. . red. /Rasmus Dahlberg; Olivier Rubin; Morten Thanning Vendelø. Abingdon : Routledge 2016, s. 176-188 (Routledge Humanitarian Studies)
I: Disaster Research: Multidisciplinary and International Perspectives. . red. /Rasmus Dahlberg; Olivier Rubin; Morten Thanning Vendelø. Abingdon : Routledge 2016, s. 240-245 (Routledge Humanitarian Studies)
I: Journal of Health, Organization and Management, Vol. 30, Nr. 4, 2016, s. 565-580
I: Uncertainty and Strategic Decision Making. red. /Kristian J. Sund; Robert J. Galavan; Anne Sigismund Huff. Bingley : Emerald Group Publishing 2016, s. 147-169 (New Horizons on Managerial and Organisational Cognition, Vol. 1)
I: The SAGE Encyclopedia of Corporate Reputation. red. /Craig E. Carroll. Thousand Oaks, CA : SAGE Publications 2016, s. 811-814
I: Information and Organization, Vol. 25, Nr. 3, 2015, s. 137-149
I: Klassisk og moderne organisationsteori. red. /Signe Vikkelsø; Peter Kjær. København : Hans Reitzels Forlag 2014, s. 91-114
I: Scandinavian Journal of Management, Vol. 30, Nr. 4, 2014, s. 461-469
I: Creativity and Innovation Management, Vol. 23, Nr. 4, 2014, s. 353–358
Paper presented at The Academy of Management Annual Meeting 2014, 2014
Paper presented at New Frontiers in Managerial and Organizational Cognition. 2012, 2012
Paper presented at The Academy of Management Annual Meeting 2012, 2012
I: International Journal of Technology Management, Vol. 59, Nr. 1/2, 2012, s. 45-62
Paper presented at Third International Symposium on Process Organization Studies. PROS 2011, 2011
Paper presented at The Academy of Management Annual Meeting 2011, 2011
I: Projektstyringens problemer og værktøjer: Fra kaos til resultat. . red. /Preben Melander. København : Djøf Forlag 2011, s. 215-250
I: Encyclopedia of Knowledge Management. red. /David Schwartz; Dov Te'eni. Hershey : Idea Group Publishing 2010, s. 121-130
I: Management Learning, Vol. 41, Nr. 3, 2010, 5 s., s. 259-263
I: International Journal of Business and Systems Research, Vol. 4, Nr. 4, 2010, s. 365-378
Paper presented at The ABC Workshop - Organizing Insitutions: Agency and Interpretive Approaches, 2010
I: Data Base - for Advances in Information Systems, Vol. 40, Nr. 4, 2009, s. 132-147
I: Management Learning, Vol. 40, Nr. 4, 2009, s. 449-456
Paper presented at The Academy of Management Annual Meeting 2009, 2009
Paper presented at 2e Colloque International sur le Temps: "Rupture, finitude, mort et management", 2008
I: Børsens Ledelseshåndbøger: Knowledge Management. . red. /Per Nikolaj Bukh; Karina Skovvang Christensen. København : Dagbladet Boersen A/S 2008 (Børsen ledelseshåndbøger)
I: Management Learning, Vol. 39, Nr. 3, 2008, s. 361-368
I: Knowledge Management: Concepts, Methodologies, Tools, and Applications. . red. /Murray E. Jennex. Hershey : Idea Group Publishing 2008, s. 3022-3030
I: Knowledge Management: Concepts, Methodologies, Tools, and Applications. . red. /Murray E. Jennex. Hershey : Idea Group Publishing 2008, s. 469-483
I: Proceedings of The 2008 Academy of Management Annual Meeting: [CD-rom]. : Academy of Management 2008
Paper presented at 11th International Conference on Reputation, Brand, Identity and Competitiveness. BI, Norwegian School of Management, 2007
Frederiksberg : Department of Informatics INF, Copenhagen Business School 2007, 30 s.
Paper presented at The Copenhagen Conference on Strategic Management - Building Competitive Advantage: The Roles of Entrepreneurship and Innovation, 2006
I: Knowledge Management and Intellectual Capital. red. /Per Nikolaj Bukh; Karina Skovvang Christensen; Jan Mouritsen. 2005, s. 35-52
I: Projektledelse 2005, s. 1-26
I: Encyclopedia of Knowledge Management. red. /David G. Schwartz. Harrisburg, PA : Idea Group Publishing 2005, s. 833-839
København 2005, 23 s.
Paper presented at The 21st EGOS Colloquium 2005, 2005
I: Inquiring organizations. red. /James F. Courtney; John D. Haynes; David B. Paradice. 2005, s. 154-171
København 2004, 19 s.
Paper presented at The 27th Information Systems Seminar in Scandinavia. IRIS 2004, 2004
Paper presented at The 45th Western Academy of Management Conference, Alyeska Resort, 2004
I: The Past and Future of Information Systems. red. /Kim Viborg Andersen; Morten Thanning Vendelø. Edinburgh : Butterworth-Heinemann 2004, s. 1-6
I: Knowledge Flows, Governance and the Multinational Enterprise: Frontiers in International Management Research. . red. /Volker Mahnke; Torben Pedersen. London/Basingstoke : Palgrave Macmillan 2004, s. 249-268
Edinburgh : Butterworth-Heinemann 2004, 274 s.
I: Ledelse & Erhvervsøkonomi, Vol. 68, Nr. 4, 2004, s. 265-274
København 2004, 12 s.
I: Videnledelse: et praksisfelt under etablering. . red. /Per Nikolaj Bukh; Karina Skovvang Christensen; Jan Mouritsen. København : Djøf Forlag 2003, s. 87-105
I: The evolution of scientific knowledge. red. /Hans Siggaard Jensen; Lykke Margot Richter; Morten Thanning Vendelø. Cheltenham : Edward Elgar Publishing 2003, s. 1-12
I: Nigel Bennett, Megan Crawford & Marion Cartwright (eds.): Effective Educational LeadershipLondon : Paul Chapman Publishing 2003, s. 74-88
I: Management Learning, Vol. 34, Nr. 4, 2003, s. 499-503
Paper presented at The European Group of Organization Studies 19th Colloquium, Subtheme 19: Science Organizations and the Organization of Science, 2003
I: Corporate Reputation Review, Vol. 5, Nr. 4, 2003, s. 304-329
Cheltenham : Edward Elgar Publishing 2003, 225 s.
København 2002, 27 s.
København 2002, 21 s.
I: O R Insight, Vol. 15, Nr. 2, 2002, s. 11-17
Paper presented at The 2nd European Academy of Management Conference (EURAM) 2002, 2002
Paper presented at European Group of Organization Studies 18th Colloquium, Standing Workgroup 4: Business Network Research, 2002
Paper presented at The 43rd Western Academy of Management Conference. The Symposium on: The Role of Reputation in a Globalizing Economy, 2002
København 2002, 27 s.
Trento : uniTN,Università Degli Studi di Trento 2001, 37 s.
Paper presented at The European Group of Organisation Studies 17th Colloquium. Sub Theme 12: European (ad) Venturing in the New Economy, 2001
I: Ledelse & Erhvervsøkonomi, Vol. 65, Nr. 1, 2001, s. 49-58
I: Teori & praksis: Skandinaviske perspektiver på ledelse og økonomistyring : en bog til Preben Melander. . red. /Sten Jönsson; Bøje Larsen. København : Djøf Forlag 2001, s. 323-359
I: Journal of Knowledge Management, Vol. 5, Nr. 2, 2001, s. 125-136
Paper presented at The SCANCOR workshop: Crossing boundaries: Economics, Sociology and Organization Theory, 2000
2000, 10 s.
Paper presented at Paper presented at the 41st annual Western Academy of Management conference, April 5.-8., 2000, Waikoloa Beach, Hawaii, 2000
Paper presented at Paper presented at the Conference on Knowledge and Innovation (Theme: Creativity, knowledge and innovation), May 25-26, 2000, Helsinki, Finland, 2000
Paper presented at SCANCOR workshop on: The roots and branches of organizational economics, Stanford University, 1999
Paper presented at The 15th EGOS Colloqium 1999, 1999
Paper presented at International Marketing Strategy, Behavioral Perspectives on Strategy, 1999
I: Journal of Knowledge Management, Vol. 3, Nr. 4, 1999, s. 252-261
København 1999, 12 s.
Paper presented at Portland International Conference on Management of Engineering and Technology, 1999
København 1999, 21 s.
Paper presented at ASSA-meetings, January 3-6, 1999. NY, 1999
Paper presented at The 3rd International Conference on Corporate Reputation, Identity and Competitiveness, 1999
I: Læring og multimedier. red. /Oluf Danielsen; Janni Nielsen. Aalborg : Aalborg Universitetsforlag 1997, s. 117-141
I: OnEdge, Vol. 6, Nr. 1, 2008, s. 25-27
I: Ledelse i Dag, Nr. 3, 2006
I: AIS SIGSEMIS Bulletin, Vol. 2, Nr. 3&4, 2005
I: Management Learning, 2005
I: Kræmmerhuset, Vol. 26, Nr. 1, 2004
I: Kræmmerhuset, 2003