Before and when you arrive

This page is under construction. We are in the process of creating new content that will be relevant for you as an international. Come back later this fall to learn more about studying in Denmark and at CBS.

Welcome to Denmark!

There are a few things you need to have sorted in order to comfortably start your studies at CBS. Use this as a checklist to make sure you are prepared for your move to Copenhagen.

1. Find housing

Finding somewhere to live in Copenhagen can be difficult, but it is not impossible. CBS can unfortunately not help you find housing, but there are things you can do yourself.

  • Make use of your network. Do you know someone who lives in Copenhagen or Denmark? Many students find housing through their network, so reach out to anyone you might know in the area.
  • Join Facebook groups. There are many ads for rooms and apartments in various Facebook groups. 
  • Apply for student housing. Many students live in single rooms with shared common rooms, known as a "kollegie". There are numerous kollegier offered by various companies and note that there is usually a waiting list.
  • Look for housing outside the immediate city. As Copenhagen is a relatively small geographically, you can also consider finding housing outside of the more central neighbourhoods. The public transportation is reliable and its infrastructure streches over a great area, which means that you can easily get to the various CBS campuses. As Copenhagen is a biking city, nothing is ever that far away as you can easily move around.

It is very common for studens to share apartment with other students and young professionals, and this is also a great way to increase your network in Copenhagen.

Hear students share how they found housing and give some good tips to help you find somewhere to live.

[insert video about housing]

Note: if you are an exchange student, CBS can help you find accommodation. Read more here.


2. Apply for residence certificate or permit

Nordic citizens
As a Nordic citizen, you do not need to apply for a residence certificate or residence permit. 
EU/EEA and Swiss citizens
As an EU/EEA citizen staying in Denmark for longer than three months, you must apply for a residence certificate. Learn more and apply online here.
Non-EU/EEA citizens


As a non-EU/EEA citizen staying in Denmark for longer than three months, you may need to fill out a ST1 application form in order to apply for a residence permit.


If you are an incoming full degree student, you apply online. Once we have received your tutition fee payment, we will initiate the application process and provide you with a login to continue the application. You receive further information together with your letter of accaptance.

If you are an incoming exchange student and have received your login to the student intranet, you can read more about how to apply here.

Apply before arrival

If you need to apply for a residence permit, note that it needs to be obtained before entering Denmark unless your citizenship will allow you to travel visa-free to Denmark. The Danish Agency for International Recruitment and Integration (SIRI) has a service goal of 60 days to reach a decision from the date they receive a fully completed application. I.e. if you submit an incomplete application, the timer resets and you should expect another 60 days before a decision is reached. CBS has no influence over Danish diplomatic missions or SIRI, and we cannot speed up the process for any student who applies late.

Apply after arrival

For your convenience, ONLY if your citizenship allows you to travel to Denmark without a visa, you can apply for the residence permit after arrival in Copenhagen. The benefit of doing so would be that you will not have to travel potentially long distances to submit biometric information and submit the application. It can be done conveniently in Copenhagen. Moreover, you will only be required to pay one application fee.

Please note that there are drawbacks to applying after arrival:

  • It will postpone the process of registering at your Danish address and obtain a Danish social security number (CPR number). So if you choose this option it is important that you purchase private medical insurance for your time in Denmark and you will not enjoy the other benefits that having a CPR number will give you.
  • If the process takes a long time you might not be able to get a CPR number at all. CPR numbers are issued only to residents who are due to stay in Denmark for more than three months. Having a residence permit is a prerequisite for getting a CPR number. If you receive your residence permit at a time when you have less than 3 months left of your stay in Denmark, you will not be able to get a CPR number.

Application fees

Non-EEA/EU students must pay two application fees in connection with the residence permit application if they apply from abroad:

  1. A fee to the Danish diplomatic mission where you submit your application (the amount due depends on the consulate/embassy in question.
  2. A fee to SIRI in Copenhagen who processes your application. Learn more about the fee to SIRI here.


Incoming Bachelor student? Contact Bachelor Admission.

Incoming Master student? Contact Graduate Admission.

Incoming Exchange? Contact the International Office.



3. Apply for CPR (civil registration number)

Danish law requires everyone staying in Denmark for more than three months to register with the Civil Registration System – for Nordic or EU/EEA/Swiss citizens it is six months.

Once registered, you will receive a social security number (in Danish referred to as a CPR number), which will be unique to you and which you will need for most registration in Denmark.

Nordic citizens do not need a EU registration certificate or residence permit to apply for a CPR number.

EU/EEA or Swiss citizens need to get an EU registration certificate from The Danish Agency for International Recruitment and Integration (SIRI), before you can apply for a CPR number.

Non-EU/EEA citizens need to have a residence permit from SIRI before applying for a CPR number.

Learn more about how to apply for a CPR number and apply online here.


4. Join study start

Officially, the fall semester starts 1 September and the spring semester 1 February. However, there will be intro activities in the weeks leading up to these. This is where the first connections with your class mates are formed and it is strongly recommended to participate. 

In order to not miss out on anything, stay updated on when you study start takes place and arrange your arrival to Denmark accordingly.

Bachelor students
Welcome new Bachelor student! Find all information you need to know about your study start.

Master students
Welcome new Master student! Find all information you need to know about your study start.

Exchange students
Welcome to CBS! Under Prospective Exchange Students < Introduction week, you will find all information you need to know about your study start.

The page was last edited by: Web editor - Student Communications // 09/29/2022