Department of Strategy and Innovation
Lars Bo Jeppesen is a professor at Copenhagen Business School where he holds a position in Management of Innovation at the Department of Strategy & Innovation.
Lars is an expert on innovation as it relates to co-development with users, crowd sourcing, crowd funding, and technology platforms. His research focuses on innovation management and strategy in the digital economy with a specific interest in firms’ ability of accessing and leveraging “external” innovators’ potential and its impact on innovation and firm performance.
He has collaborated with various leading companies on innovation strategy and advised governments in Europe and Asia on innovation policy development. Together with professor Eric von Hippel (MIT) Lars co-founded Danish User-Centered Innovation Lab in which he led an initiative on best practice innovation by bringing together academic researchers and leading edge companies in projects to develop, test and assess new methods and tools for capturing “distributed” innovations.
Lars holds a master from University of Copenhagen and received his PhD from Copenhagen Business School. He has previously been an associate professor at Bocconi University, and a visiting scholar to universities such as Stanford University, MIT, and NASA Tournament Lab at Harvard University.
His work has been published in a variety of management journals, and it has been featured in media ranging from Financial Times and Fast Company to Nature and Science.
- Miric, M., Boudreau K., Jeppesen, LB. Profiting From Their Digital Innovation. Research Policy. Forthcoming
- Dahlander L., Jeppesen LB. Piezunka, H., Organizing Search Using Crowds, Research in the Sociology of Organizations, Forthcoming.
- Boudreau, K. Jeppesen LB., Unpaid Crowd Complementors: The Platform Network Effect Mirage. Strategic Management Journal, Vol. 36, No. 12, 2014, p. 1761–1777
- Jeppesen, L.B. and Lakhani, K.R., (2010) Marginality and Problem Solving Effectiveness in Broadcast Search, Organization Science, 21 (5) 1016-1033.
- Jeppesen, L.B. and Laursen K., (2009) The Role of Lead users in Knowledge Sharing, Research Policy, Vol 38 (10), 1582-1589
- Lakhani, Karim R., and Lars Bo Jeppesen. Getting Unusual Suspects to Solve R&D Puzzles. Forethought. Harvard Business Review 85, no. 5 (May 2007).
- Jeppesen, L.B. and Frederiksen, L., (2006) Why do users contribute to firm-hosted user communities? The case of computer-controlled music instruments. Organization Science. Vol 17 (1), 45-64.
- Jeppesen, L.B. (2005) User Toolkits for Innovation: Consumers Support Each Other. Journal of Product Innovation Management. (22): 347–362.
- Jeppesen, L.B. and Molin, M.J., (2003) Consumers as Co-developers: Learning and Innovation Outside the Firm. Technology Analysis & Strategic Management 15 (3) 363-84.
In: Research Policy, Vol. 48, No. 8, 10.2019
Paper presented at DRUID18 Conference, 2018
: SSRN: Social Science Research Network 2017, 41 p. (Harvard Business School Strategy Unit Working Paper, No. 16-038)
Boston : Harvard Business School 2015, 37 p. (Harvard Business School Working Paper, No. 16-038)
In: Strategic Management Journal, Vol. 36, No. 12, 2014, p. 1761–1777
In: Organization Science, Vol. 21, No. 5, 2010, p. 1016-1033
In: Research Policy, Vol. 38, No. 10, 2009, p. 1582-1589
København : Erhvervs- og Byggestyrelsen 2007, 76 p.
In: Harvard Business Review, Vol. 85, No. 5, 2007, p. 30-32
2007, 58 p.
København : Styrelsen for Forskning og Innovation 2006
In: Organization Science, Vol. 17, No. 1, 2006, p. 45-63
In: Journal of Product Innovation Management, Vol. 22, No. 4, 2005, p. 347-362
In: Produktentwicklung mit virtuellen Communities: Kundenwünsche erfahren und Innovationen realisieren. . ed. /Cornelius Herstatt; Jan G. Sander. Wiesbaden : Gabler 2004, p. 169-198
København : Samfundslitteratur 2004, 175 p. (Ph.d.serie, No. 2004-4)
København : Djøf Forlag 2004, 30 p.
Copenhagen : Copenhagen Business School, CBS 2004, 30 p. (CKG Working Paper, No. 3/2005)
Copenhagen : Copenhagen Business School, CBS 2004, 30 p.
In: Technology Analysis & Strategic Management, Vol. 15, No. 3, 2003, p. 363-383
København : Djøf Forlag 2003, 37 p.
København : Djøf Forlag 2002, 34 p.
: DRUID - Danish Research Unit for Industrial Dynamics. CBS 2001, 27 p.
In: Samfundsrelevant forskning på CBS: 14 udvalgte cases. Frederiksberg : Copenhagen Business School, CBS 2014, p. 38-39