Department of Strategy and Innovation
Lars Bo Jeppesen is a Professor of Innovation Management at Copenhagen Business School. His research focuses on innovation in the digital economy. He is interested in crowd-based innovation, crowdfunding, user communities, entrepreneurship, and digital platforms.
Lars holds a master from University of Copenhagen and received his PhD from Copenhagen Business School. He has previously been an associate professor at Bocconi University, and a visiting scholar to universities such as Stanford University, MIT, and NASA Tournament Lab at Harvard University. He is currently a visiting scholar at Laboratory for Innovation Science at Harvard (LISH).
He has collaborated with various leading companies on innovation strategy and advised governments in Europe and Asia on innovation policy development. Together with professor Eric von Hippel (MIT) Lars co-founded Danish User-Centered Innovation Lab in which he led an initiative on best practice innovation by bringing together academic researchers and companies in projects to develop, test and assess new methods and tools for capturing “distributed” innovations.
His work has been published in a variety of management journals, and it has been featured in media ranging from Financial Times and Fast Company to Nature and Science.
- Innovation, technology strategy, crowd-based innovation, crowdfunding, user communities, entrepreneurship, and digital platforms.
- Innovation and Strategy in the Digital Economy, Master level elective course
- Boudreau, K. J., Jeppesen, L. B., Reichstein, T., & Rullani, F. (2021). Crowdfunding as Donations to Entrepreneurial Firms. Research Policy, 50(7), 104264.https://doi.org/10.1016/j.respol.2021.104264
- Jeppesen, L. B. (2021). Social movements and free innovation. Research Policy, 50(6), 104238.https://doi.org/10.1016/j.respol.2021.104238
- Garofalo, O., Jeppesen LB. & Zunino, D. (April 2021). Green Coin for Sustainability and against Inequality: A Research Proposal. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/351061337_Green_Coin_for_Sustainability_and_against_Inequality_A_Research_Proposal
- Foss, NJ., Jeppesen LB., Rullani, F. (2020) How context and attention shape behaviors in online communities: a modified garbage can model. Industrial and Corporate Change.
- Miric M., LB. Jeppesen, (2020) Does Piracy Lead to Product Abandonment or Stimulate New Product Development?: Evidence from Mobile Platform-Based Developer Firms, Strategic Management Journal, 41:2155–2184. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.3208
- Miric M., Boudreau K., Jeppesen, LB. (2019) Protecting their digital assets: The use of formal & informal appropriability strategies by App developers, Research Policy. 48(8).
- Dahlander L., Jeppesen LB. Piezunka, H.,(2015) Organizing Search Using Crowds, Research in the Sociology of Organizations, 64: 239-270.
- Boudreau, K. Jeppesen LB., (2015) Unpaid Crowd Complementors: The Platform Network Effect Mirage. Strategic Management Journal, Vol. 36, No. 12, 2014, p. 1761–1777
- Jeppesen, L.B. and Lakhani, K.R., (2010) Marginality and Problem Solving Effectiveness in Broadcast Search, Organization Science, 21 (5) 1016-1033.
- Jeppesen, L.B. and Laursen K., (2009) The Role of Lead users in Knowledge Sharing, Research Policy, Vol 38 (10), 1582-1589
- Lakhani, Karim R., and Lars Bo Jeppesen. Getting Unusual Suspects to Solve R&D Puzzles. Forethought. Harvard Business Review 85, no. 5 (May 2007).
- Jeppesen, L.B. and Frederiksen, L., (2006) Why do users contribute to firm-hosted user communities? The case of computer-controlled music instruments. Organization Science. Vol 17 (1), 45-64.
- Jeppesen, L.B. (2005) User Toolkits for Innovation: Consumers Support Each Other. Journal of Product Innovation Management. (22): 347–362.
- Jeppesen, L.B. and Molin, M.J., (2003) Consumers as Co-developers: Learning and Innovation Outside the Firm. Technology Analysis & Strategic Management 15 (3) 363-84.
In: Research Policy, Vol. 50, No. 7, 9.2021
In: Industrial and Corporate Change, Vol. 30, No. 1, 2.2021, p. 1-18
In: Research Policy, Vol. 50, No. 6, 7.2021
In: Strategic Management Journal, Vol. 41, No. 12, 12.2020, p. 2155-2184
In: Managing Inter-organizational Collaborations: Process Views. . ed. /Jörg Sydow; Hans Berends. Bingley : Emerald Group Publishing 2019, p. 239-270 (Research in the Sociology of Organizations, Vol. 64)
In: Research Policy, Vol. 48, No. 8, 10.2019
Paper presented at DRUID18 Conference, 2018
: SSRN: Social Science Research Network 2017, 41 p. (Harvard Business School Strategy Unit Working Paper, No. 16-038)
Boston : Harvard Business School 2015, 37 p. (Harvard Business School Working Paper, No. 16-038)
In: Strategic Management Journal, Vol. 36, No. 12, 2014, p. 1761–1777
In: Organization Science, Vol. 21, No. 5, 2010, p. 1016-1033
In: Research Policy, Vol. 38, No. 10, 2009, p. 1582-1589
København : Erhvervs- og Byggestyrelsen 2007, 76 p.
Frederiksberg : DRUID - Danish Research Unit for Industrial Dynamics 2007, 24 p. (DRUID Working Paper, No. 07-24)
In: Harvard Business Review, Vol. 85, No. 5, 2007, p. 30-32
2007, 58 p.
København : Styrelsen for Forskning og Innovation 2006
In: Organization Science, Vol. 17, No. 1, 2006, p. 45-63
In: Journal of Product Innovation Management, Vol. 22, No. 4, 2005, p. 347-362
In: Produktentwicklung mit virtuellen Communities: Kundenwünsche erfahren und Innovationen realisieren. . ed. /Cornelius Herstatt; Jan G. Sander. Wiesbaden : Gabler 2004, p. 169-198
København : Samfundslitteratur 2004, 175 p. (Ph.D.serie, No. 2004-4)
København : Institut for Industriøkonomi og Virksomhedsstrategi, Handelshøjskolen i København 2004, 30 p. (Working Paper / Department of Industrial Economics and Strategy. Copenhagen Business School, No. 2004-03)
Copenhagen : Copenhagen Business School, CBS 2004, 30 p. (CKG Working Paper, No. 3/2005)
Copenhagen : Institut for Industriøkonomi og Virksomhedsstrategi, Handelshøjskolen i København 2004, 30 p. (Working Paper / Department of Industrial Economics and Strategy. Copenhagen Business School, No. 2/2004)
In: Technology Analysis & Strategic Management, Vol. 15, No. 3, 2003, p. 363-383
Frederiksberg : Institut for Industriøkonomi og Virksomhedsstrategi, Handelshøjskolen i København 2003, 37 p. (Working Paper / Department of Industrial Economics and Strategy. Copenhagen Business School, No. 2003-01)
København : Copenhagen Business School [wp] 2002, 34 p.
: DRUID - Danish Research Unit for Industrial Dynamics 2001, 27 p.
København : Core & Company 2019, 104 p. (Corporate Garage)
Fontainebleau : INSEAD 2019
In: Samfundsrelevant forskning på CBS: 14 udvalgte cases. Frederiksberg : Copenhagen Business School, CBS 2014, p. 38-39
Uorden i den danske innovationsmaskine
Bruger Innovation i computerspil-industrien
No outside activities reported.