Institut for Afsætningsøkonomi
Since 2018 Michel van der Borgh has been an Associate Professor of Marketing at the Department of Marketing at Copenhagen Business School. He previously was Assistant Professor of Marketing at Eindhoven University of Technology and Tilburg University. Michel achieved his B.Sc. in Mechanical Engineering at Hanze University Groningen, his M.Sc. in Industrial Engineering at the Eindhoven University of Technology, and he was awarded his Ph.D. in Marketing from the same university. Michel has published in journals such as Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, Journal of Service Research, Industrial Marketing Management, Journal of Product Innovation Management, British Journal of Management, and R&D Management. He regularly reviews for a number of leading journals and currently serves as an Associate Editor at European Journal of Marketing (EJM) and is part of Industrial Marketing Management’s (IMM) review board.
In his research, Michel aims to understand what drives the success of radically new (digital) technologies in ICT, medical devices, manufacturing, and other industries, and how firms can design effective sales strategies for such solutions. Michel collaborates with leading high-tech organizations like Philips, Vanderlande Industries, KPN, Getronics, Ahrend, and the High-Tech Campus Eindhoven.
In terms of teaching, he has taught numerous courses on topics such as (1) new product selling, (2) business research methods, (3) marketing management, and (4) business to business marketing. Michel is the program coordinator of the 2-year MSc EBA (cand. merc.) Customer & Commercial Development (CCD).
Business-to-business (B2B) marketing, Sales management, frontline employees, sales teams, frontline innovation, artificial intelligence, marketing research methods (e.g., Bayesian analysis, process mining, multivariate statistics, multilevel regression analysis, grounded theory approach, design science research).
- Business Models for Digital Platform Ecosystems
- MSc (cand. merc.) programme coordinator of the Customer & Commercial Development (CCD) graduate student 2-year cohort line https://www.cbs.dk/en/study/graduate/msc-in-economics-and-business-administration/msc-in-eba-customer-and-commercial-development
Michel has supervised numerous PhD, MSc, BSc., and MBA students at various universities. Topics of supervision include digital sales/marketing, frontline teams, innovation selling, sales process research. Michel is currently only supervising sales management or artificial intelligence topics. Due to his research background, he prefers both qualitative and quantitative approaches (mixed method approaches) and is especially interested in research projects adopting a design science approach (i.e., where students aim to solve a practitioner’s problem by designing some solution, such as a dashboard, training protocol, marketing plan). Furthermore, Michel only supervises in English.
If you want to suggest a master thesis topic, please write a short summery of your research question including an argumentation for its scientific relevance.
CBS Full-time MBA module on Marketing Management.
- Van der Borgh, Michel; Ad de Jong; Edwin J. Nijssen / Balancing Frontliners’ Customer- and Coworker-directed Behaviors when Serving Business Customers, Journal of Service Research, Vol. 22, No. 3, 8.2019, p. 323-344
- Van der Borgh, Michel; Jeroen Schepers / Are Conservative Approaches to New Product Selling a Blessing in Disguise?, Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, Vol. 46, No. 5, 9.2018, p. 857-878
- Van der Borgh; Ad de Jong; Edwin J. Nijssen / Alternative Mechanisms Guiding Salespersons’ Ambidextrous Product Selling, British Journal of Management, Vol. 28, No. 2, 2017, p. 331–353
- Van der Borgh, M. & Schepers, J.J.L. (2014) “Do Retailers Really Profit from Ambidextrous Managers? Impact of Frontline Mechanisms on New and Existing Product Selling Performance” Journal of Product Innovation Management, 31(4), 710-727.
* Featured in Strategy+Business, s+b Blogs (http://www.strategy-business.com/blog/In-with-the-New-and-the-Old-Too?gko=0c7af ), October 30, 2014.
I: Journal of Service Research, Vol. 23, Nr. 3, 8.2020, s. 255-280
I: Industrial Marketing Management, 2020, 7 s.
I: Industrial Marketing Management, 2020, 5 s.
I: Industrial Marketing Management, Vol. 88, 7.2020, s. 136-151
I: Journal of Service Research, Vol. 22, Nr. 3, 8.2019, s. 323-344
I: Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, Vol. 46, Nr. 5, 9.2018, s. 857-878
I: International Journal of Production Research, Vol. 56, Nr. 20, 10.2018, s. 6658-6677
Bruxelles : European Union 2018, 17 s.
Bruxelles : European Union 2018, 73 s.
Bruxelles : European Union 2018, 73 s.
I: British Journal of Management, Vol. 28, Nr. 2, 2017, s. 331–353
I: Industrial Marketing Management, Vol. 64, 7.2017, s. 1-13
I: R&D Management, Vol. 47, Nr. 3, 6.2017, s. 443-457
I: Industrial Marketing Management, Vol. 77, 25.10.2017, s. 23-40
I: Journal of Product Innovation Management, 2014, s. 710-727
I: R & D Management, 2012
- Michel is founder and owner of the consultancy service ‘Center for Sales Process Engineering (CSPEng)’. Within this role, he consulted various companies in transforming their sales organizations.
- Since 2018 teaching activities with TIAS School for Business and Society
- Since 06/2019; Associate Editor at European Journal of Marketing (EJM), Emerald