Master in Sustainable Tourism and Hospitality Management
WHAT GETS YOU THE JOB?
The graduates of this program will be able to develop and support data-driven decision-making processes in organizations by acquiring, producing and applying the latest knowledge from sustainable business development in tourism, leisure, hospitality and other related areas. You will gain a deep understanding of the consumers of this specific market. You will be able to communicate critical reflections on sustainable tourism challenges and to provide recommendations on solid argumentation, analytical stringency and research-based evidence.
You will have digital analytical skills combined with an in-depth understanding of business operations and sustainable strategies in tourism and hospitality businesses. Your ability to conduct and assess research projects based on big data sets will be your advantage. Your understanding of new business models will enable you to initiate entrepreneurial endeavours and sustainable tourism innovations.
STHM has been developed in dialogue with representatives from Danish travel trade, hospitality and tourism organisations, and its educational design focuses on addressing present managerial concerns with solid methodological approaches and research-driven solutions. The program also works in close collaboration with the industry and will give you opportunities to work and meet with practitioners and experts from the tourism and hospitality industry. In doing so, you will create a strong network within the industry.
The STHM programme gives you competencies within tourism and hospitality management in the broader context of sustainability and digitalisation. Students obtaining a degree from this program will be able to hold jobs with analytical tasks (market analyst, digital strategist, platform manager, and other management positions within tourism and hospitality); either as self-employed entrepreneurs or employed in private tourism and hotel companies and consulting houses. Career opportunities for graduates could also include development operations and networking tasks (sustainable operations, relationship manager) in tourism industry organizations, such as Destination Management Organizations (DMOs) or NGOs.
You will achieve the following competences and skills on the programme:
- a high academic level in the design, planning, implementation and evaluation of sustainable development strategies aimed at tourism and hospitality companies
- an in-depth knowledge of the psychological and cultural driving forces of tourism consumption as well as the tourism industry's value chains and business models
- a holistic understanding of sustainable tourism, including ecological, ethical and social aspects and the ability to understand its wider context and necessity
- a global and local perspective on digital strategies, data flows and new business models.
- the ability to apply theories, structures, methods, techniques and data-driven tools to analyse tourism behaviour and use this for business decisions
- analyse, describe and solve complex and interdisciplinary issues within change management and sustainable development strategies in tourism and hospitality companies
- the ability to analyse different data streams with a focus on deriving meaningful facts and insights, valuable results and sustainable knowledge in order to support tourism companies' business processes and functions
- use of digital methods, techniques and tools for business processes such as data analysis, visual analysis, text analysis, geo-locational analysis and communication that are effective for tourist businesses and make the tourist sector more competitive
- facilitate and integrate information-driven decision-making processes into sustainable company practices.
- the ability to acquire and use new knowledge
- comprehensive analytical skills aimed at multimodal datasets
- the ability to conceptualize data-driven structures and data-driven decision-making processes with regard to support the company's strategy
- innovative abilities and the ability to reflect critically and act accordingly
- communicate in writing and orally and prepare technical and visual documentation
- the ability to work independently and in teams, including interdisciplinary groups
- the ability to work with people with different disciplines
- the ability to work in local, national and international environments
- the ability to identify complex issues and act in the future in situations where the result is not given or data is not adequate.
You can find the formal academic competency profile for Sustainable Tourism and Hospitality Management here.