Department of Strategy and Innovation
Susanne Beck is a post-doc researcher at the Department of Strategy & Innovation at Copenhagen Business School (CBS) and the Open Innovation in Science Research and Competence Center (OIS Center) at Ludwig Boltzmann Gesellschaft.
She has received her PhD in economics from Zeppelin University in Germany and has been a visiting scholar at the Lancaster University Management School’s Department of Entrepreneurship, Strategy & Innovation. During her PhD, Susanne developed and lectured several different international courses in the area of Scientific Research Methods, Consumer Behavior, and Family Business Research on bachelor, master, and executive education level. Her research has been published in international peer-reviewed management and marketing journals such as Journal of Family Business Strategy, International Journal of Retail & Distribution Management and Journal of Family Business Management and her work was awarded with the Best Paper Award from the European Academy of Management Conference (EURAM). Her current research focuses on the organization of scientific knowledge creation and dissemination. Current projects address for example the definition, measurement, and implications of creating and capturing value from scientific knowledge by applying open innovation approaches.
- Organization of scientific knowledge production and dissemination
- Crowd science
- Value creation and value capture from scientific knowledge
- Open innovation in science
- Sociology of science and knowledge
- Individual behavior and decision-making processes
Publications in peer-reviewed journals:
- Beck, S., Prügl, R. (2018). Family firm reputation and humanization: consumers and the trust advantage of family firms under different conditions of brand familiarity. Family Business Review, in press. DOI: 10.1177/0894486518792692
- Beck, S. (2016). Brand management research in family firms: A structured review and suggestions for further research. Journal of Family Business Management, Vol. 6(3), pp. 225-250.
- Hauck, J., Suess-Reyes, J., Beck, S., Prügl, R., & Frank, H. (2016). Measuring socioemotional wealth in family-owned and-managed firms: A validation and short form of the FIBER Scale. Journal of Family Business Strategy, 7(3), 133-148.
- Beck, S., & Kenning, P. (2015). The influence of retailers’ family firm image on new product acceptance: an empirical investigation in the German FMCG market. International Journal of Retail & Distribution Management, 43(12), 1126-1143.
Peer-reviewed conference proceedings and talks (selected):
- Beck, S., Beukel, K., & Poetz, M. K. (2018). What Makes Scientific Knowledge Attractive to Innovators?–Exploring and Categorizing Determinants. In Academy of Management Proceedings (Vol. 2018, No. 1), Chicago, USA.
- Beck, S., Mahdad, M., Beukel, K., & Poetz, M. K. (2018). Value Capture in Science: The Exchange Value Paradox. In DRUID18 Conference.
- Beck, S., Beukel, K., & Poetz, M. K (2018). Attraction at First Sight?: Exploring and Categorizing Determinants that make Scientific Knowledge Attractive to Innovators. In DRUID18 Conference.
- Beck, S., Lude, M., Prügl, R. (2016). When the image gets wrinkles – the perceived innovation ability of family firms. Proceedings of the IPDMC (Innovation and Product Development Management Conference), Glasgow, Scotland.
- Beck, S., Lude, M., & Prügl, R. (2016). Discovering the ‘since effect’–how communicating the company age affects consumers’ brand perception. In 45th European Marketing Academy Conference EMAC, p.98, Oslo, Norway.
- Beck, S., Walter, K., Prügl, R. (2016). To reveal or not to reveal – the family firm status, European Academy of Management Conference, 2016, Paris, France.
- Hauck, J., Suess-Reyes, J., Beck, S., Prügl, R., Frank, H. (2015). Socioemotional wealth: Validating and purifying the FIBER scale. In Academy of Management Proceedings (Vol. 2015, No. 1), Vancouver, Canada.
- Kopton, I., Beck, S., Wobker, I., & Kenning, P. (2014). Perceived Store Brand’s Trustworthiness as Signals During Consumers’ Decision-Making: An Experimental Investigation. Proceedings of the Association for Consumer Research, Vol. XLII, p. 792.
Selected other publications:
- Beck, S., Prügl, R. (2015). Konferenz der Forschungszentren und Institute für Familienunternehmen im deutschsprachigen Raum (FIFU-DACHLi) 2015, Zeitschrift für Familienunternehmen und Stiftungen – Recht, Management, Familie und Vermögen, 2015 (3), pp. 110-111.
- Beck, S. (2015). Wahrnehmung von Familienunternehmen, pFIFig publication series 01/2015, Friedrichshafen.
- Kenning, P., Beck, S. (2015). Innovation braucht Vertrauen, Rundschau für Lebensmittelhandel, Special Edition ‚Global Retail – Visions | Facts | Brands, Oktober 2015, p. 16-18.
Beck, S. (2016). The Family Firm Status as Part of the Brand: Relevance and Empirical Evidence for a Potential Competitive Advantage, Dissertation. Zeppelin University.
Beck, S. (2011). Chilenische Autokäufer und ihre Kaufentscheidungsdeterminanten, Saarbrücken, VDM Verlag Dr. Müller.
In: European Management Journal, Vol. 38, No. 1, 2.2020, p. 95-107
In: Proceedings of the Eightieth Annual Meeting of the Academy of Management. ed. /Guclu Atinc. Briarcliff Manor, NY : Academy of Management 2020, 1 p. (Academy of Management Proceedings)
In: Industry and Innovation, 4.8.2020
Abstract from DRUID Academy Conference 2019, 2019
Abstract from Open Innovation in Science (OIS) Research Workshop 2019, 2019, p. 18
In: R & D Management, Vol. 49, No. 4, 9.2019, p. 624-638
Paper presented at The Academy of Management Annual Meeting 2019, 2019
Abstract from Open Innovation in Science (OIS) Research Workshop 2019, 2019, p. 16
In: Publications , Vol. 7, No. 3, 9.2019
In: Proceedings of the Seventy-ninth Annual Meeting of the Academy of Management. ed. /Guclu Atinc. Briar Cliff Manor, NY : Academy of Management 2019, p. 644-649 (Academy of Management Proceedings)
Paper presented at DRUID19 Conference, 2019
Paper presented at DRUID18 Conference, 2018
In: Family Business Review, Vol. 31, No. 4, 12.2018, p. 460-482
In: Wirtschaftspolitische Blaetter, No. 4, 2018, p. 557-571
Paper presented at DRUID18 Conference, 2018
In: Journal of Family Business Management, Vol. 6, No. 3, 2016, p. 225-250
In: Journal of Family Business Strategy, Vol. 7, No. 3, 9.2016, p. 133-148
In: International Journal of Retail & Distribution Management, Vol. 43, No. 12, 2015, p. 1126-1143
Wien : Österreich forscht 19.8.2020
Primary employment at Ludvig Boltzmann Gesellschaft, Vienna, Austria.