Originally from Denmark, Professor Thomas E. Johnsen has spent his career working across several European countries. He has a cand merc from CBS, PhD from University of Bath (UK) and a habilitation from the University of Grenoble (France). He is visiting professor at the CBS Operations Management department and (full) Professor of Purchasing and Supply Management at Audencia Business School in France. Prior to this he was Gianluca Spina Professor of Supply Chain Management at Politecnico di Milano in Italy and he has also held full-time or part-time positions at Rennes Business School (France), University of Bath (UK), Jönköping International Business School (Sweden) and University of Southern Denmark.
Professor Johnsen is Associate Editor of the Journal of Purchasing & Supply Management and has been executive board member of the International Purchasing & Supply Education & Research Association (IPSERA) and is co-founder of the IPSERA special interest group (SIG) in Purchasing & Product innovation.
His publications have appeared in leading international journals and his book (with M. Howard and J. Miemczyk) Purchasing and Supply Chain Management: a Sustainability Perspective is now in its second edition published by Taylor & Francis and awarded a French prize.
Professor Johnsen currently focuses on two areas of research: sustainable procurement and supply chain management and procurement involvement in discontinuous innovation. He engages with practice through his research and has worked with a large number of organisations for executive training and/or advisory projects.
- Sustainable procurement and supply chain management
- Purchasing and supply management
- Purchasing involvement in product innovation
- Supply networks
- Supplier relationship management
- Constant, F., Johnsen, T.E., and Calvi, R. (2020). Managing tensions between exploitative and exploratory innovation through purchasing function ambidexterity. Journal of Purchasing & Supply Management, 26 (4), 100645
- Meqdadi, O., Johnsen, T.E., Johnsen, R.E. and Salmi, A. (2020). Strategies for diffusing sustainability in supply networks: case study findings. Supply Chain Management: an International Journal, 25 (6), 729-746.
- Meqdadi, O., Johnsen, T.E. and Johnsen, R.E. (2019) Power and diffusion of sustainability in supply networks: Findings from four case studies. Journal of Business Ethics, 159 (4), pp 1089–1110.
- Johnsen, T.E., Mikkelsen, O.S., and Chee, Y.W. (2019). Strategies for complex supply networks: findings from the offshore wind power industry. Supply Chain Management: an International Journal, 24 (6), pp. 872-886.
- Johnsen, T.E., Howard, M. and Miemczyk, J. (2018) Purchasing and Supply Chain Management: a Sustainability Perspective. 2nd edition. Taylor & Francis. ISBN-978 1-13-806476 -8.
- Johnsen, T.E., Mikkelsen, O.S. and Paulraj, A. (2016) The character and significance of Nordic purchasing & supply management research: a systematic review of the literature. Journal of Purchasing & Supply management, 22 (1), 41-52.
- Johnsen, T.E. (2011) Supply network delegation and intervention strategies during supplier involvement in product development. International Journal of Operations & Production Management, 31 (6), 286-708.
- Johnsen, T.E. (2009) Supplier Involvement in Product Development and Innovation – Taking Stock and Looking to the Future. Journal of Purchasing & Supply Management, 15 (3), 187-197.
- Johnsen, T.E. Phillips, W., Caldwell, N. and Lewis, M. (2006) Centrality of Customer and Supplier Interaction in Innovation. Journal of Business Research, 59 (6), 671-678.
- Harland, C.M., Zheng, J., Lamming, R.C., Johnsen, T.E. (2001) A Taxonomy of Supply Networks. Journal of Supply Chain Management, 37 (4), 21-27.
- Lamming, R.C, Johnsen T.E., Zheng, J, and Harland C.M. (2000) An Initial Classification of Supply Networks. International Journal of Operations and Production Management, 20 (6), 675 - 691.
In: Journal of Purchasing and Supply Management, Vol. 28, No. 1, 1.2022
In: Handbook of Theories for Purchasing, Supply Chain and Management Research . ed. /Wendy L. Tate; Lisa M. Ellram; Lydia Bals. Cheltenham : Edward Elgar Publishing 2022, p. 531-549 (Research Handbooks in Business and Management, Vol. 919)
In: Handbook of Sustainability-driven Business Strategies in Practice. ed. /Stefan Markovic; Cristina Sancha; Adam Lindgreen. Cheltenham : Edward Elgar Publishing 2021, p. 244–259
In: International Journal of Physical Distribution & Logistics Management, Vol. 49, No. 3, 2019, p. 287-304
In: DILFaktuelt, No. 14, 12.2021, p. 35-38
In: Effektivitet, No. 3, 2021, p. 24-25