Department of Management, Society and Communication
I am an organizational researcher focusing on the development of sustainability in the building sector. My current project is an industrial postdoctoral fellowship with VELUX, CBS, and BLOXHUB on the topic of "Smart Buildings and Cities Business Model Innovation." It is supported by Innovationsfonden and Realdania. This project will involve applied research into the innovation process for building organizations to adapt their business models to the increasing digitization and automation of buildings. It will be enacted as part of the Science Forum at BLOXHUB, the building innovation centre, and the Governing Responsible Business Research Environment at CBS. My background is highly interdiscplinary, including such areas as international policy, ecological economics, environmental science, green engineering, and ecosystem biology, and I find these subjects to greatly enrich sustainability and organizational research.
- Building and Construction
- Business Models
I welcome students for supervision, and I am open to a variety of topics, especially related to sustainability or the built environment (bachelors and masters thesis supervision, as well as projects).
Guest lecture "VELUX and European Building: A Trajectory for Strategizing" in Executive MBA FLEX, Copenhagen Business School. 16 April 2016.
Guest lecture "Energy as a Social Science" in Energy Crossroads Denmark's lecture series. 30 Nov 2015.
Guest lecture "CSR, Sustainability, and Strategy: The case of VELUX" in Scandinavian Sustainability and CSR, Department of Intercultural Communications and Management, Copenhagen Business School. 29 Sept 2015.
Guest lecture "Building Standards in the Built Environment" at the International Institute for Industrial Environmental Economics (IIIEE) Anniversary Conference, Lund University. 27 Aug 2015. Recordings developed into lecture for the MOOC Sustainable Cities, Lund University.
- Hale, L. A. (In revision). Anthropocentric urban sustainability: Human significance in building automation. Sustainable Cities and Society.
- Hale, L. A. (2018). At Home with Sustainability: From Green Default Rules to Sustainable Consumption. Sustainability, 10(1), 249.
- Hale, L. (2017). Experimental Standards in Sustainability Transitions: Insights from the Building Sector. (Doctoral Dissertation). Doctoral School of Organisation and Management, Copenhagen Business School, Denmark.
- Hale, L. (2016). Sustainability through Green Default Rules. Proceedings of YRSB16 – iiSBE Forum of Young Researchers in Sustainable Building 2016: Innovations for Sustainable Future, 21 June 2016, Prague, p. 179-187.
- Hale, L. (2015). Measurement in Sustainable Building. Proceedings of the first WBCSD and EMAN joint international sustainability accounting symposium, Geneva, Switzerland, p. 53-55.
- Hale, L. (2015). Commensuration and Legitimacy in Standards. Academy of Management Proceedings 2015:1 15420 (Abstract).
- Hale, L. (2012). Participation in Sustainable Housing: A case study of participation in a Swedish housing cooperative’s sustainability efforts. (Master’s Thesis). IIIEE, Lund University, Sweden.
- Arsenault, N., Hale, L., Khedkar, P. and Morimoto, Y. (2012). Integrated Water Management in Kurseong: A PESTLE analysis of the water environment in Kurseong, India. IIIEE, Lund University, Sweden.
Thesis presentation of “Experimental Standards for Sustainability Transitions: Insights from the Building Sector” at the Active House General Assembly, Ecobuild, 7 March 2017, London, UK.
Roundtable presentation "Sustainability-driven Innovation in the Built Environment" at the Professional Development Workshop "Innovating for Sustainability: The State of the Art and Beyond" at Academy of Management (AOM) Annual Meeting, 5-9 August 2016, Anaheim, CA.
Presentation "Human-centered Sustainable Building" at the Danish Future Earth Summit, Urban and Rural Futures, 3 June 2016, Copenhagen, Denmark. Roundtable presentation on "Innovation" at Healthy Buildings Day, 20 April 2016, Brussels, Belgium.
Presentation "Institutionalization of Sustainable Building" at the VELUX Daylight Symposium, Academic Forum, 1 September 2015, London, UK.
Presentation "The Social Side of Sustainable Building: The Way We Make Standards, and the Way Standards Make Us" at the Øresund Sustainability Symposium, 11-12 May 2015, Lund, Sweden and Copenhagen, Denmark.
In: Sustainable Cities and Society, Vol. 42, 2018, p. 423-433
In: Sustainability, Vol. 10, No. 1, 2018
In: WBCSD EMAN: International Sustainability Accounting Symposium. . ed. /Rodney Irwin; Stefan Schaltegger. Geneve : World Business Council for Sustainable Development 2018, p. 53-55
Frederiksberg : Copenhagen Business School [Phd] 2017, 174 p. (PhD Series, No. 15.2017)
In: Proceedings of YRSB16 - iiSBE Forum of Young Researchers in Sustainable Building 2016. ed. /Julie Železná; Petr Hájek; Jan Tywoniak; Antonín Lupíšek; Kateřina Sojková. Prague : Czech Technical University in Prague 2016, p. 179-187
Abstract from The Academy of Management Annual Meeting 2015, 2015
In: Energising Local Capacities: Seven Pathways Towards Resource Efficiency. . ed. /Sebastian Lema; Signe Damgaard Nielsen; Anna Vehviläinen; Kai Ulrik; Mathilde Andersson; Emmy Carlsson; Maria Paula Llosa; Peter Abrahamsson Lindeblad; Erika Machacek; Johanna Generosi; Živilė Poderienė; Randy Remigius; Brit Samborsky; Fredrik Lingvall; Min A. Lee; Nurzat Myrsalieva; Rachel Armstead; Cherisse Braithwaite; Ana Marton; Jessika Luth Richter; Javier Alberto Murdocca; Jeffrey McKinnon; Sigríður Droplaug Jónsdóttir; Vasil Zlatev; Nicholas Arsenault; Lara Hale; Prasad Khedkar; Yoko Morimoto. Lund : Lund University 2012, p. 81-92