Department of Management, Politics and Philosophy
- Center for Civil Society Studies
Lara Monticelli holds a master’s degree in Economics and Social Sciences (Bocconi University, Milan) and a Ph.D. in Economic Sociology (University of Brescia). Before joining Copenhagen Business School as an Assistant Professor and Marie Skłodowska-Curie fellow in September 2018, she has been awarded a grant by the Italian Fondazione Banca del Monte di Lombardia to conduct an explorative project on ecological and utopian communities in collaboration with the Dutch Research Institute for Transitions (DRIFT), Erasmus University (Rotterdam). Prior to this, Lara worked as a post-doctoral research fellow at the Institute for Humanities and Social Sciences at Scuola Normale Superiore di Pisa (Italy). The research she conducted during her post-doc was focusing on the study of political engagement among young precarious workers, combining perspectives from the sociology of work, social movement, and political participation studies.
Her ongoing Marie Skłodowska-Curie project (2018-2021), titled ‘EcoLabSS – Ecovillages as Laboratories of Sustainability and Social Change’, focuses on the (re)emergence of community-based, prefigurative social movements (e.g. sustainable communities, eco-villages, transition towns, solidarity networks) as living laboratories experimenting with practices of resilience and resistance to environmental, economic and societal challenges. Lara is especially interested in how these movements re-politicize and re-configure everyday life, thus representing radical attempts to embody the critique to contemporary capitalism and prefigure alternative, sustainable futures. Lara is also involved in a number of parallel research and editorial projects in collaboration with non-governmental organizations like the Global Ecovillage Network and ECOLISE – the European Network for Community Led Initiatives on Climate Change and Sustainability.
In the past years, she has co-chaired two mini-conferences within the Society for the Advancement of Socio-Economics (Berkeley 2016, Lyon 2017), creating a vibrant and international forum for the discussion of the emerging, interdisciplinary research field focusing on prefigurative politics, alternative futures and radical imagination in grassroots, community-based social movements. Since 2017, she is the co-founder and co-chair of the research network 'Alternatives to Capitalism' within the Society for the Advancement of Socio-Economics (SASE).
Since 2021, she is the co-editor, together with Torsten Geelan (University of Copenhagen) of the book series “Alternatives to Capitalism in the 21st Century” published by Bristol University Press.
She is also affiliated researcher at the CoresNet research network for the study of consumption networks and practices of sustainable economies and member of the collective “Women on the Verge” that gathers female scholar-activists from Australia, Italy, Mexico, Netherlands, the UK and the US.
At CBS, she is a member of the research initiative “Transformational economies and societies” and one of the coordinators of the new Cand.soc. Minor “Transforming Business and Organizations to Build Sustainable and Democratic Economies”.
Link to personal website: www.laramonticelli.com
EcoLabSS explainer video: EcoLabSS - Ecovillages as Laboratories of Sustainability and Social Change (Lara Monticelli, CBS)
- Contemporary capitalism, current trends and future developments
- Capitalism and the future of democracy
- Collective action, grassroots social movements and alternative forms of organizing (intentional communities, eco-villages, co-operatives, new municipalism)
- Radical and prefigurative politics
- Non-conventional forms of political and civic participation
- Alternative and sustainable futures
- Critical social theory, economic and political sociology, political economy
- Course Coordinator: “Re-Imagining Capitalism” (elective, Master level)
- Course Coordinator: “Social Entrepreneurship and Innovation” (mandatory, M.Sc. Organization, Innovation, Entrepreneurship)
- Bachelor in Business and Sociology: Final Project Coordinator
- Supervisor of several Bachelor projects and Master Theses (various study programs)
I have supervised a number of Master theses focusing on the following themes: worker owned cooperatives, grassroots sustainability, implementation of degrowth measures, online platforms for recycling and upcycling, voluntary organizations, alternative forms of organization.
- Lara Monticelli and Matteo Bassoli / Precariousness, youth and political participation: the emergence of a new political cleavage. In: Italian Political Science Review/Rivista Italiana di Scienza Politica. Online First: 1–15, DOI:10.1017/ipo.2018.11, Journal article > peer review
- Lara Monticelli; Donatella della Porta/ The Successes of Political Consumerism as A Social Movement. In: The Oxford Handbook of Political Consumerism, Edited by Magnus Boström, Michele Micheletti, and Peter Oosterveer, Online Publication Date: August 2018. DOI: 10.1093/oxfordhb/9780190629038.013.33
- Lara Monticelli / Embodying Alternatives to Capitalism in the 21st Century. In: tripleC: Communication, Capitalism & Critique, Vol. 16, No. 2, 2018, p. 501-517. Journal article > peer review
- Christian Fuchs; Lara Monticelli / Repeating Marx : Introduction to the Special Issue “Karl Marx @ 200: Debating Capitalism & Perspectives for the Future of Radical Theory”. In: tripleC: Communication, Capitalism & Critique, Vol. 16, No. 2, 2018, p. 406-41. Journal article > peer review
- Christian Fuchs; Lara Monticelli (Eds.)/ Karl Marx@200: Debating Capitalism & Perspectives for the Future of Radical Theory. In: tripleC: Communication, Capitalism & Critique, Vol. 16, No. 2, 2018. Special Issue
- Lara Monticelli; Simone Baglioni / Aspiring Workers or Consumers? Youth Social Exclusion in the Era of Consumer Capitalism. In: Contemporary Social Science – Journal of the Academy of Social Science. Taylor and Francis Online, 12:3-4, 2017. p. 316-332, DOI: 10.1080/21582041.2017.1385834. Journal article > peer review
- Matteo Bassoli; Lara Monticelli / What About the Welfare State? Exploring Precarious Youth Participation in the Age of Grivances. In: Acta Politica. Springer. Vol. 53, Issue 2, 2017. p 204–230. DOI: org/10.1057/s41269-017-0047. Journal article > peer review
- Lara Monticelli; Simone Baglioni; Matteo Bassoli / In a World that Does Not Belong To Me. Recounting Unemployment Experiences of Contemporary Italian Youth. In: Experiencing Long-Term Unemployment in Europe. Youth on the Edge, Edited by Christian Lahusen; Marco Giugni, London: Palgrave McMillan, 2016. p. 139 -169. Book Chapter
- Lara Monticelli; Matteo Bassoli/ Precarious Voices. Investigating Types of Political Citizens and their Repertoires of Action Among European Youth. In: PArtecipazione e COnflitto (PaCo), Issue 3(9), 2016. p. 824-856. Journal article > peer review
In: Sustainability Science, 1.3.2022
In: Rassegna Italiana di Sociologia, 3.6.2022
In: Thesis Eleven, Vol. 167, No. 1, 12.2021, p. 99-118
In: Ephemera. Theory and Politics in Organization, Vol. 20, No. 1, 2020, p. 233-239
In: Atlas of Social Innovation: A World of New Practices. . ed. /Jürgen Howaldt; Christoph Kaletka; Antonius Schröder; Marthe Zirngiebl. Vol. 2, München : Oekom Verlag 2019, p. 70-74
In: Rivista Italiana di Scienza Politica, Vol. 49, No. 1, 3.2019, p. 99-113
Paper presented at SASE 31st Annual Conference 2019, 2019, p. 10
In: International Social Security Review, Vol. 71, No. 4, 10.2018, p. 91-109
In: tripleC: Communication, Capitalism & Critique, Vol. 16, No. 2, 2018, p. 501-517
In: tripleC: Communication, Capitalism & Critique, Vol. 16, No. 2, 2018, p. 406-414
In: The Oxford Handbook of Political Consumerism. ed. /Magnus Boström; Michele Micheletti; Peter Oosterveer. Oxford : Oxford University Press 2018
In: Acta Politica, Vol. 53, No. 2, 4.2018, p. 204–230
In: Contemporary Social Science: Journal of the Academy of Social Science, Vol. 12, No. 3-4, 2017, p. 316–332
In: Partecipazione e Conflitto, Vol. 9, No. 3, 2016, p. 824-856
In: Experiencing Long-Term Unemployment in Europe: Youth on the Edge. . ed. /Christian Lahusen; Marco Giugni. London : Palgrave Macmillan 2016, p. 139-169
In: La ricerca sociologica e i temi del lavoro: Giovani ricercatori italiani a confronto. . ed. /Michele La Rosa. Milano : Edizioni FrancoAngeli 2011, p. 150-167 (Sociologia del Lavoro)
Milano : Edizioni FrancoAngeli 2011, 144 p.
In: Emancipations, Vol. 1, No. 1, 2021
London : openDemocracy 2019
Bestil en CBS-forsker til Forskningens Døgn
New minor urges students to reimagine organizations, corporations, capitalism - the entire economy!
Nelle crisi del capitalismo di oggi
Want a More Sustainable Society? We Need to Talk About Capitalism, Argues CBS Researcher
No outside activities to report.