Department of Management, Politics and Philosophy
My work seeks to understand how the practitioners and practices of contemporary finance allocated wealth and poverty as well as structure human societies. I’ve done field work in the United States on private equity investing as well as on the creation of employee owned companies. I’m currently a member of the AlgoFinance project studying the ways that algorithmic trading is reshaping financial markets. In addition to this, I’m interested in the ways in which belief and values shape political systems.
- Cultures of Finance and Financialization
- Cultural Anthropology
- Applied Anthropology and Research Methods
- Economic and Political Anthropology
- The Creation and Destruction of Social Inequality
Pitluck, Aaron, Fabio Mattioli, and Daniel Souleles. 2018. “Finance beyond function: Three causal explanations for financialization.” Economic Anthropology 5(2):157-171. DOI:10.1002/sea2.12114
- Souleles, Daniel. 2018. “Meaning in the Miscellany of a Cultural Domain.” Field Methods. DOI: /doi/10.1177/1525822X18781822.
- Souleles, Daniel. 2018. “How to Study People Who Don’t Want to be Studied: Practical reflections on studying up.” PoLAR: Political and Legal Anthropology Review 41(S1):51-68. https://doi.org/10.1111/plar.12253
- Souleles, Daniel. 2017. “Don’t Mix Paxil, Viagra, and Xanax: What financiers jokes say about inequality.” Economic Anthropology 4(1):107-119.
- Souleles, Daniel and Michael Scroggins. 2017. “Deep Plays with Capitalist Futures: Authority and Games in Finance and DIYbiology.” Economy and Society 46(1):82-102.
- Souleles, Daniel. 2017. “Something new: value and change in finance.” Journal of Cultural Economy 10(4):393-40
In: Critique of Anthropology, 3.4.2019
In: Educating in Life: Educational Theory and the Emergence of New Normals. . ed. /Herve Varenne. New York : Routledge 2019, p. 63-78 (Routledge Research in Education)
Lincoln : University of Nebraska Press 2019, 264 p. (Anthropology of Contemporary North America)
In: Economic Anthropology, Vol. 5, No. 2, 6.2018, p. 157-171
In: PoLAR: Political and Legal Anthropology Review, Vol. 41, No. S1, 9.2018, p. 51-68
In: Field Methods, Vol. 30, No. 4, 2018, p. 345-356
In: Economic Anthropology, Vol. 4, No. 1, 2017, p. 107–119
In: Journal of Cultural Economy, Vol. 10, No. 4, 2017, p. 393-404
In: Economy and Society, Vol. 46, No. 1, 2017, p. 82-102