Department of Management, Politics and Philosophy
I am an Associate Professor at the Department of Management, Politics and Philosophy at Copenhagen Business School. Before joining CBS, I was Assistant Professor at the University of Copenhagen, Department of Sociology. I hold a PhD and MSc in Social and Political Science from the London School of Economics.
In the period 2009-2016 I was an editor of the journal Nations and Nationalism. In 2017 I became a member of the editorial board.
In 2017, I am a visiting professor at Ilisimatusarfik (University of Greenland) teaching a course on the role and conditions of state schools in Greenland (Spring 2017) and co-teaching a course in advanced sociology (Fall 2017).
In October 2017 I am visiting the University of Lapland teaching a PhD course on indigeneity in the Arctic region in the PhD programme “Northern Cultures and Natural Resource Politics”.
I am currently working on two research projects both of which deal with Greenland as part of the Arctic Region:
- In the period 2014-2017 I have conducted research into the relationship between education, languages and nation-building in Greenland. I have carried out field work in state schools in three out of four municipalities in Greenland and furthermore explored the transition from lower to upper secondary school (overgangen fra folkeskole til gymnasium). The project is funded by the Carlsberg Foundation.
- In the period 2016-2018 I carry out research into entrepreneurship and education, exploring the prospects of integrating entrepreneurship in the school curriculum in Greenland. This takes place in the context of the research project: Platforms for Entrepreneurship: Long-lasting Perspectives for a sustainable Greenland in the Arctic Region’ (PENELOPE). The project focuses especially on East Greenland (Tasiilaq) and is funded by the Nordic Council of Ministers.
Political sociology: State-nation relations; nationalism studies; indigeneity (indigenous entrepreneurship); education (in Greenland especially with focus on primary and secondary school education); the Arctic region; Danish national identity; the construction of national art.
Organizational sociology: Institutionalism; entrepreneurship; digitalization; digital infrastructure, public sector digitalization.
Vice Head of Department
I coordinate and teach courses in the following programmes:
- BSc Business Administration and Sociology
- BSc International Business and Politics
Furthermore, I teach the course ‘Kommunikation og Ledelse’ in the Master in Public Governance (CBS Executive Programmes)
PhD Supervision (main supervisor)
Sofie Blinkenberg Federspiel: ’ Fra IT til digitalisering: Et organisationsstudie af institutionel forandring i den kommunale administration’. (Defense 31st October 2014)
Ida Lunde Jørgensen: ‘Institutions and Legitimations in Finance for the Arts’. (Defense 25th August 2016)
Martin Friis Nielsen: ‘Time and social media: a social-philosophical analysis of the production of time on/through social media. (September 2017-)
Furthermore, I supervise MSc and BSc projects.
- Brincker, Benedikte og Nørregård-Nielsen, Esther (eds.) 2014. Særnummer: Grønland. Dansk Sociologi, 25:4
- Brincker, Benedikte (ed.) 2013. Introduction to political sociology. Copenhagen: Hans Reitzel
- Blinkenberg Federspiel, Sofie and Brincker, Benedikte. 2010. ‘Software as risk: Introducing open standards in the Danish public sector’. Information Society. 26:1, pp. 38-47
- Brincker, Benedikte. 2008. ‘The role of classical music in the construction of nationalism: an analysis of Danish consensus nationalism and the reception of Carl Nielsen’. Nations and Nationalism, 14:4, pp. 684-699
- Brincker, Benedikte and Gundelach, Peter. 2005. ‘Sociologists in Action: A Critical Exploration of Alain Touraine’s Intervention Method’. Acta Sociologica, 48:4, pp. 365-375
In: Including the North: A Comparative Study of the Policies on Inclusion and Equity in the Circumpolar North. . ed. /Mhairi C. Beaton; Diane B. Hirshberg; Gregor R. Maxwell; Jennifer Spratt. Rovaniemi : University of Lapland 2019, p. 43-55
Paper presented at The 22nd Annual Conference of International Research Society for Public Management. IRSPM 2018, 2018
In: Nations and Nationalism, Vol. 24, No. 2, 2018, p. 312-326
In: Visual Studies, Vol. 32, No. 3, 2017, p. 251-261
Paper presented at Anthony D. Smith and the Future of Nationalism: Ethnicity, Religion and Culture, 2017
Paper presented at The 33rd EGOS Colloquium 2017, 2017
In: Værdier videnskab og visioner : Festskrift til Peter Gundelach. . ed. /Margareta Järvinen; Bella Marckmann; Esther Nørregård-Nielsen. København : Djøf Forlag 2016, p. 137-147
In: Encyclopedia of Romantic Nationalism. ed. /Joep Leerssen. Amsterdam : Universiteit van Amsterdam 2016
Paper presented at Nationalism: Diversity and Security, 2015
Paper presented at The 12th Conference of the European Sociological Association 2015, 2015
Paper presented at Security and Governance in the Globalised Arctic, 2015
Abstract from Everyday Nationhood, 2014
Paper presented at Catalonia and Scotland, 2014
In: Dansk Sociologi, Vol. 25, No. 4, 2014, p. 5-11
In: Nations and Nationalism, Vol. 20, No. 4, 2014, p. 603–605
In: Nations and Nationalism, Vol. 20, No. 4, 2014, p. 664–682
In: Introduction to Political Sociology. ed. /Benedikte Brincker. København : Hans Reitzels Forlag 2013, p. 9-12
Paper presented at Literarische Transnationalität, 2013
København : Hans Reitzels Forlag 2013, 311 p.
In: Nations and Nationalism, Vol. 19, No. 3, 7.2013, p. 409–433
Paper presented at Reputation Management, Branding and Nation-building in Greenland, 2012
Paper presented at Nationalism and Music, 2012
In: The Janus Face of Commercial Open Source Software : An Investigation into Institutional (non)Work by Interacting Institutional Actors. . ed. /Ann Westenholz. Frederiksberg : Copenhagen Business School Press 2012, p. 177-183
In: The Janus Face of Commercial Open Source Software : An Investigation into Institutional (non)Work by Interacting Institutional Actors. . ed. /Ann Westenholz. Frederiksberg : Copenhagen Business School Press 2012, p. 53-143
Paper presented at Spinnet Workshop, 2012
Paper presented at Forging the Nation: Performance and Ritual in the (Re)production of Nations, 2011
In: Scandinavian Journal of Information Systems, Vol. 22, No. 1, 2010, p. 27-44
In: Jyske Historiker, No. 126, 2010, p. 60-73
In: Information Society, Vol. 26, No. 1, 2010, p. 38 - 47
In: National Identities, Vol. 11, No. 4, 2009, p. 353-365
Abstract from Future Greenland 2017, 2017
In: Politiken, 20.3.2015, p. 7
In: Politiken, 9.2.2015, p. 7
In: Politiken, 18.9.2014, p. 10
In: Politiken, 17.8.2014, p. 12
In: Politiken, 4.10.2014, p. 6
In: Politiken, 2.12.2014, p. 7
In: Politiken, 27.11.2014, p. 10
In: Politiken, 3.11.2013, p. 11-12