Web of Science
Web of Science contents
The scope of Web of Science is very extensive and includes the social and natural sciences as well as the humanities, with an over-representation of social science articles. References are pulled from a variety of publications, most notably journal articles, but also from conference proceedings and books. Database features include tools to analyse literature inter-connectedness.
Web of Science consists of a number of citation databases:
You can search the databases one at a time or together.
- Social Science Citation Index (more than 2600 social science journals from 55 disciplines from 1900-)
- Science Citation Index (more than 3700 science and technical journals from 100 disciplines from 1956-)
- Arts & Humanities Citation Index (more than 1390 arts and humanities journals from 1975-).
Also access to Conference Proceedings Citation Index, a database of conference proceedings from 1990 - present.
- Limit your search to one or more citation databases. Notice the years covered by the individual database.
- Use ”” (inverted commas) to search for a phrase, e.g. ”knowledge management”.
- Use * (asterisk) to search the stem of a word, e.g. touri* will retrieve tourism, tourist, tourists.
Web of Science facts