Copenhagen Business School (CBS) seeks a visionary leader with an international outlook and a solid research background to serve as President of one of Europe’s leading business schools.
CBS is Denmark’s largest institution of education and research within social science and business administration in a wider context. The university is committed to providing business-related degree programmes and continuing education for the private sector in particular but also the public sector.
Programmes are based on a strong and internationally renowned research base, which CBS works consistently to strengthen. CBS is committed to communicating knowledge and new ideas to tomorrow’s business leaders and society at large. Our largest contribution is research and research-based education, and investment in research and high academic standards is therefore key to CBS’ contribution to society.
CBS has more than 21,000 students and 2,200 part- and full-time employees. CBS has a strong international and diverse profile; 25% of our students and 40% of our researchers are of another nationality than Danish.
CBS’ current strategy came into force 1 January 2017. The new strategic transformational initiatives from 2017-2020 are:
- Entrepreneurship and innovation
- CBS’ programme portfolio
- Collaboration with the business community and society
The new President will have the task of contributing to the development of a new strategy for CBS.
The President reports to the CBS Board of Directors and constitutes CBS Senior Management together with the Dean of Research, the Dean of Education and the University Director. The members of CBS Senior Management are not part of the CBS Board of Directors; however, they participate in board meetings.
The President is responsible for the day-to-day management of the university. The President must strengthen CBS’ position as a broad, interdisciplinary business school, while constantly maintaining a focus on contributing to society through research and research-based education. Focusing on the core tasks of CBS – education, research, dissemination and collaboration with society – the President must lead the organisation in a way that motivates and inspires confidence in researchers, lecturers, students, administration, business community and other stakeholder groups.
The CBS Board of Directors places focus on a transparent, reliable interaction between the CBS Board of Directors and the President. In addition, the President must ensure a broad organisational support of decisions made by the CBS Board of Directors and CBS Senior Management. The President must build the strongest possible university with the resources and funds available at the time in question.
Together with the Chairman of the Board and in accordance with the guidelines laid down by the CBS Board of Directors, the President must represent CBS and be responsible for CBS’ collaborations in Denmark and abroad.
Professional and personal qualifications
The next President of CBS must be a recognised scholar within one of CBS’ academic disciplines at associate professor level or higher. The next President must also be able to document the ability to lead a knowledge organisation with many stakeholder groups and understand the culture, values and profile of CBS.
The CBS Board of Directors places emphasis on the next President having experience with the following areas:
- Management experience from a public or private research and education institution or research institution.
- Collaboration with public and private companies and institutions as well as international research and education collaboration at university level. Experience with and insight into international trends and development in the university sector and the companies and sectors that recruit CBS’ graduates.
In addition, the next President is expected to be:
- in possession of high personal integrity as well as strong social and relational competences
- a dynamic and powerful leader with distinct leadership competences that motivates, inspires and delegates wherever appropriate
- a visionary, focused on development and innovation with strong strategic skills
- a great communicator in relation to external stakeholders and CBS’ employees and academic environments with the ability to disseminate the narrative of CBS’ strategy and vision
- a team player with breadth of view and great interpersonal skills in relation to a broadly diverse workforce in terms of gender, nationality and culture
- in possession of a comprehensive financial understanding
- conversant with and experienced in external funding
- familiar with and having insight into the digital development of society and the application of digitalisation
The next President must be fluent in Danish, Swedish or Norwegian and master a high level of written and spoken English and preferably one or more foreign languages.
Appointment and salary will be in accordance with the Ministry of Finance’s agreement with the relevant organisation. The position as President is fixed-term and placed at salary level 39 with the possibility of allowances subject to negotiation.
The recruitment process is handled by Heidrick & Struggles. For more information, please contact Karsten Dybvad, Chairman of the CBS Board of Directors, at +45 4085 2222 or Anne Mette Dissing-Immerkær, Partner at Heidrick & Struggles, at tel.: +45 3337 7600
Please direct the application, relevant documentation and any questions to Heidrick and Struggles, Amaliegade 10, 4. sal, 1256 København K no later than Monday 20 August. Please mark the envelope “CBS”. Or send the application via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
Copenhagen Business School supports equal opportunities and encourages all relevant parties to apply regardless of age, gender, religion or ethnicity. All applications will be treated confidentially and assessed by CBS’ appointment committee.