The Rhetoric of Management
PURPOSE AND DESCRIPTION
As a manager, one faces many rhetorical challenges, but perhaps the most pertinent one is how to make unity out of different individuals with different agendas. Through speeches and other types of oral communication, the manager constructs an identity for the organization that employees are invited to share. As such, every utterance a leader makes is a piece in the puzzle that is a modern organization. It is this so-called ‘constitutive’ perspective we wish to introduce in this course on managerial rhetoric.
This course focuses on the manager's oral communication with their employees. The purpose of the course is to equip participants for in-depth engagement with their own manner of speaking. You will study the theory of management rhetoric, analyze the rhetoric of other leaders, and deliver a speech in front of your peers.
- The foundations of management rhetoric – communication constitutes organization
- Aspects of speech – content, style and performance
- Constructive feedback in various formats
- Critical perspectives on contemporary management rhetoric
YOUR LEARNING OUTCOME
- Valuable insights into your own oral communication
- Inspiration from other leaders’ rhetorical approaches
- New ideas for handling future speeches
- Tools for analyzing management rhetoric
|COORDINATED BY||Emil Husted, Assistant professor, Department of Management, Politics and Philosophy, Copenhagen Business School.|
|SCHEDULE||19th, 20th and 21st of may|
|LOCATION||Copenhagen Business School, Dalgas Have 15, 2000 Frederiksberg|
|EXAM||Essay 5-7 pages.
Hand in 2th of June at 12 noon
|PRICE||10.000 DKK + expenses for materials|