Postdoc position in the field of Strategy/Organization Theory
The Department of Strategy and Innovation (SI) at Copenhagen Business School (CBS) is looking for a postdoctoral researcher. The position is time-limited to 2.5 years (with the potential of a 6 month extension) and connected to the project “Social Comparison and Reference Selection in Organizations”. Expected starting date is 1 November 2022 (but adaptable upon mutual agreement)
About the Department of Strategy and Innovation:
The Department of Strategy and Innovation (SI) is one of 11 departments within CBS. The department has about 50 faculty members, currently including 20 professors, 20 associate professors, 10 assistant professors, in addition to 8 postdocs and 19 PhD students.
SI’s ambition is to host an internationally leading environment for research and teaching in strategy, innovation, entrepreneurship, and international business. The theoretical foundation for research in these areas is eclectic and cross-disciplinary, combining theoretical insights from strategy, international business, organizational theory, economics, sociology, psychology, and economic geography. Methodologically, the department places considerable emphasis on the solid application of empirical methods, featuring surveys, register data, experiments, and qualitative studies. Faculty members have published in top academic journals including the Academy of Management Journal, Strategic Management Journal, Organization Science, Management Science, Academy of Management Review, Journal of International Business Studies, Research Policy, among others.
About the project:
The “Social Comparison and Reference Selection in Organizations” project is aimed at improving our understanding about the phenomenon of comparisons between organizations. We know that such comparisons affect important firm actions and decisions (e.g., acquisitions, market expansions, product introductions, etc.), yet lack an understanding about how firms select comparison organizations (i.e., references) in the first place. Answering this and related questions about the consequences of selecting certain references is at the heart of the project.
A central benefit of the project is that the postdoc can build on existing proprietary data on organizations’ reference self-selection as well as on established simulations and computational experiments on the matter.
The postdoc position is a 2.5-year position (30 months) with 100% research obligations (i.e. no teaching obligations), starting in November 2022. If the successful applicant wishes to teach, teaching opportunities can be explored within the department. The Postdoc will work closely with Johannes Luger from SI and Dirk Martignoni (from USI Lugano, Switzerland). Short research stays at other collaborating institutions and visiting periods hosted by renowned scholars are optional.
The ideal candidate for the position will be a recent PhD graduate with strong technical skills in quantitative methods and with an interest in the research topic. Experience with computational or experimental methods is optional.
- Applicants must have completed, or be close to completing, a PhD from an accredited institution in the areas of Economics, Management, Strategy, Innovation, Entrepreneurship, or related.
- A strong quantitative research record (or potential) and first-rate econometric skills. Working knowledge of Stata is desirable.
- An excellent academic record and work ethic.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills (both oral and written).
- Proficiency in English.
- Enthusiasm for research required. The ideal candidate will be thinking of this position as a platform to build skills towards a research career.
- Willingness to move to and live in Denmark.
- Preparing existing datasets for econometric analyses and collaborating in new data collection (survey design and implementation, experimental design and implementation).
- Conducting econometrics analyses.
- Searching and reviewing relevant literature.
- Contributing to and co-authoring leading journal publications.
- Engaging with and regularly presenting the progress of their research within internal seminars and external events (e.g., international conferences).
- Managing own research and administrative activities according to agreed timelines and deliverables.
Application must be sent via the electronic recruitment system, using the link below. The application must include:
- Cover letter describing the motivations to join the project, experience with quantitative methods.
- Proof of qualifications and a full CV.
- Any relevant information indicating experience in research management, industry co-operation and international cooperation.
- A complete, numbered list of publications (indicating titles, co-authors, page numbers and year) with an * marking of the academic productions to be considered during the review. A maximum of 5 publications for review are allowed. Applicants are encouraged to prioritize their publications or working papers in relation to the field of this job advertisement.
- Copies of the publications marked with an *. Only publications written in English will be taken into consideration.
We plan to interview interested candidates during the Academy of Management’s Annual Meeting (held in Seattle). Interviews can take place in person as well as online.
Copenhagen Business School must receive all application material, including all appendices (see items above), by the application deadline.
For further information about the project and/or the positions, please contact Johannes Luger (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Dirk Martignoni (email@example.com). For more information on the department visit www.cbs.dk/si.
Appointment and salary will be in accordance with the Ministry of Finance’s agreement with the Central Academic Organization. A small personal research budget for travel and conference participation will be available.
Information about CBS as a workplace is available at https://www.cbs.dk/en/about-cbs/jobs-cbs.
The Recruitment Committee will shortlist a minimum of two applicants; if possible, five or more applicants will be shortlisted. The shortlisted applicants will be assessed by the Assessment Committee.
All applicants will be notified of their status in the recruitment process shortly after the application deadline.
The applicants selected for assessment will be notified about the composition of the Assessment Committee and later in the process about the result of the assessment.
Once the recruitment process is completed, each applicant will be notified of the outcome of his or her application.
Ansøgningsfrist: 15. august 2022.
WE TRANSFORM SOCIETY WITH BUSINESS
CBS er et globalt anerkendt business universitet med dybe rødder i den nordiske, socioøkonomiske model. Vi har et bredt fokus på erhvervslivets og samfundets udfordringer i det 21. århundrede. Derfor har vi en samlet portefølje af tværfaglig forskning og uddannelse af høj kvalitet, der har styrket generationer af fagfolk og ledere i den private sektor og andre steder.
Universitetet ligger på Frederiksberg og har ca. 21.000 fuldtids- og deltidsstuderende, 760 fuldtidsansatte videnskabelige medarbejdere, 210 ph.d.-studerende og 680 administrative medarbejdere samt en portefølje af bachelor-, kandidat-, MBA/EMBA-, ph.d.-og efter-/videreuddannelser udbudt på både dansk og engelsk.
Med vores globale profil følger en forpligtelse til at bidrage til udviklingen af transformative kompetencer hos studerende, kandidater og virksomhedsledere gennem vores uddannelsesaktiviteter og muligheder for livslang læring. Komplekse udfordringer kræver en fælles indsats, og derfor fokuserer vores strategi på at styrke nuværende og starte nye partnerskaber med andre videnskaber, erhvervslivet, myndigheder og civilsamfundet.