PhD scholarships at the Department of International Economics, Government and Business, Copenhagen Business School
Copenhagen Business School invites applications for PhD scholarships at the Department of International Economics, Government and Business (EGB). Proposed PhD projects should be anchored in the fields of political science and / or international business and should also consider societal challenges, (see below).
The expected starting date is December 1, 2022 (negotiable).
EGB is a multidisciplinary department that conducts high-quality research in the fields of international business and political science that has direct relevance to business, policymakers and the broader public and addresses contemporary societal challenges. These challenges include the consequences of inequality; the impact of technological change and digital transformation; the ethical dilemmas facing MNEs, regulatory challenges, the changes brought about by emerging markets and the rise of Asia; the consequences of global shifts for public policy, and the relationship between business and democracy. Faculty apply advanced quantitative and qualitative methods. To learn more about the research and teaching profile of the department, please visit the departmental homepage here.
The department’s PhD fellows will gain much from our research seminars and other activities. At the same, applicants must consider the overall contribution that they themselves can make to the department’s research environment. They should also demonstrate relevant experience in higher education, business, and dissemination activities.
The three-year PhD programme at CBS gives candidates the opportunity to conduct research under the supervision of CBS faculty, supported by research-related PhD courses. The programme is highly international, and you will be expected to participate in international research conferences and research visits abroad. Applicants should also be ready to undertake teaching activities. See the CBS homepage for more information about the PhD programme, http://uk.cbs.dk/phd
CBS PhD graduates are not only highly regarded in higher education and research institutions but also in government and business where their research qualifications are in increasing demand. Recent EGB graduates have secured positions in leading universities, consultancies and government agencies.
Application and admission requirements
To be considered the applicant should:
- have a weighted grade point average of at least 8.2 on the Danish 7-point grading scale for the bachelor's and master's degree combined or alternatively a weighted grade point average must be at least 9.5 for the master's degree alone. If the grade point average is not met, documentation for being in the top 40% of the class is also accepted. In rare cases, the grade requirement can be waived. The department will give preference to applicants with excellent grades from their universities.
- have a Master's degree corresponding to the 3 + 2 Bologna process
- have received a grade of 10 (or equivalent) for the Master's thesis according to the Danish 7-point grading scale (https://eng.uvm.dk/general-overview/7-point-grading-scale)
- have completed the Master's programme before starting the PhD programme at CBS Please note: the applicant may apply for enrolment before the completion of the Master’s degree. In this case, enrolment will be conditional upon the Master’s degree having been successfully completed by the time of enrolment.
- have an educational background in business and / or the social sciences
- have a command of academic English at a very high level. If the applicant’s Master thesis was written in English this will be considered as sufficient evidence of this.
The research proposal is considered the backbone of the application and should be very carefully prepared by the applicant. It may not exceed five pages and should include the following:
- a brief explanation of the aims of the project
- an outline of relevant research questions
- a positioning of the project in an appropriate research field
- a description of the research literature within that field
- an explanation of the theories to be included
- an explanation of the methods to be used
- an indication of the project’s potential contribution to scientific development
- a work plan (brief) which describes the main phases in the project.
Further information can be found here: https://www.cbs.dk/en/research/phd-programmes/admission
In addition to the project description, copies of the following must be included:
- diploma for bachelor's and master's degree or other certificates at an equivalent level as well as the grade transcripts
- documentation for being in the top 40% of the class (if grade requirements are not met)
- a concise curriculum vitae (CV)
- a list of articles and publications (if applicable)
- one example of a selected written work (e.g. master's thesis)
The PhD student is enrolled in the CBS PhD School. Further information about PhD scholarships and the PhD programme can be found at https://www.cbs.dk/en/research/phd-programme.
Employment and salary
A PhD scholarship runs for a period of three years and includes teaching obligations equivalent to six months’ work (840 work hours). The scholarships are fully salaried positions, according to the national Danish collective agreement. The monthly salary is currently approximately DKK 28,365 up to DKK 34,256 depending on seniority and a pension contribution totaling 17.1%. The scholarship includes tuition fees, office space, course and travel costs (according to the current CBS agreement).
Salary level and employment take place in accordance with the Ministry of Finance's agreement with the Academics' Central Organization.
The Recruitment Committee shortlists at least two-five applicants to be assessed by the Assessment Committee. Applicants are informed whether their application has proceeded for assessment.
Selected applications will be considered by an assessment committee, which will consider whether the applicant is qualified for the position. A number from amongst those deemed qualified will be invited to present themselves and their project at a departmental seminar and attend an interview. Please note that a positive assessment does not automatically result in an interview. Applicants will be kept notified of their status in the recruitment process.
Please find guidelines and further information on scholarships and the Doctoral Programme at http://uk.cbs.dk/phd.
The application must be sent via the electronic recruitment system, using the link below.
Copenhagen Business School must receive all application material, including all appendices (see items above), ahead of the deadline.
Deadline: 15 August, 2022.
Details about Copenhagen Business School and the department are available at www.cbs.dk
For further information please contact: PhD Coordinator Eddie Ashbee, email@example.com
Ansøgningsfrist: 15. august 2022.
WE TRANSFORM SOCIETY WITH BUSINESS
CBS er et globalt anerkendt business universitet med dybe rødder i den nordiske, socioøkonomiske model. Vi har et bredt fokus på erhvervslivets og samfundets udfordringer i det 21. århundrede. Derfor har vi en samlet portefølje af tværfaglig forskning og uddannelse af høj kvalitet, der har styrket generationer af fagfolk og ledere i den private sektor og andre steder.
Universitetet ligger på Frederiksberg og har ca. 21.000 fuldtids- og deltidsstuderende, 760 fuldtidsansatte videnskabelige medarbejdere, 210 ph.d.-studerende og 680 administrative medarbejdere samt en portefølje af bachelor-, kandidat-, MBA/EMBA-, ph.d.-og efter-/videreuddannelser udbudt på både dansk og engelsk.
Med vores globale profil følger en forpligtelse til at bidrage til udviklingen af transformative kompetencer hos studerende, kandidater og virksomhedsledere gennem vores uddannelsesaktiviteter og muligheder for livslang læring. Komplekse udfordringer kræver en fælles indsats, og derfor fokuserer vores strategi på at styrke nuværende og starte nye partnerskaber med andre videnskaber, erhvervslivet, myndigheder og civilsamfundet.