Department of International Business Communication
- visual communication and film
- experimental cognitive psychology
- visual attention and eye movements
- theories and models of emotion
- cultural influences on cognitive processes
I have a background in the fields of film, philosophy, and cognitive science. I wrote my Ph.D. thesis on cognitive film theory (University of Kent, UK, completed 2005) and have worked as a postdoc in experimental cognitive psychology at the University of Copenhagen (2006-2009), Copenhagen Business School (2009-2013), and Lund University, Sweden (2012-2013). My research interests include visual communication and film, visual attention and eye movements, theories and models of emotion, and cultural influences on cognitive processes. At CBS, I teach elective courses on both visual communication and cognitive psychology.
I currently teach two elective courses on the BA-IMK programme: “Visual Communication” and “Cognition and Communication: An Introduction”. I also teach classes on the BA-IMK elective courses “Naming & Framing” and “Web Interaction Design and Communication”, and the BA-IMK core course “Theory of Science” (“Videnskabsteori”).
I have supervised MA thesis projects on the IT and Cognition programme, University of Copenhagen. I am interested in supervising BA and MA thesis projects on the subjects of visual communication and cognitive psychology: potential candidates are welcome to contact me.
I have taught two courses as an external lecturer on the MA in IT and Cognition programme, University of Copenhagen: “Experimental Methods” and “Cognitive Psychology I” (2011-2012). I have also given lectures on emotion on the BA Cognitive Psychology course, Department of Psychology, University of Copenhagen (2009-2011).
- Barratt, D. (2014). The geography of film viewing: What are the implications of cultural-cognitive differences for cognitive film theory? In T. Nannicelli & P. Taberham (Eds.), AFI Film Reader in Cognitive Media Theory (pp. 62-82). New York: Routledge.
- Smith, V., Barratt, D., & Zlatev, J. (2014). Unpacking noun-noun compounds: Interpreting novel and conventional food names in isolation and on food labels. Cognitive Linguistics, 25(1), 99-147.
- Barratt, D., & Bundesen, C. (2012). Attentional capture by emotional faces is contingent on attentional control settings. Cognition and Emotion, 26(7), 1223-1237.
- Barratt, D. (2009). “Twist blindness”: The role of primacy, priming, schemas, and reconstructive memory in a first-time viewing of The Sixth Sense. In W. Buckland (Ed.), Puzzle Films: Complex Storytelling in Contemporary Cinema (pp. 62-86). Chichester: Blackwell.
- Barratt, D. (2006). Tracing the routes to empathy: Association, appraisal, or simulation? Film Studies: An International Review, 8, 39-52.
I: Perception, Vol. 45, Nr. 8, 2016, s. 847-874
I: Cognitive Semiotics, Vol. 8, Nr. 1, 2015, s. 53–86
I: Frontiers in Psychology, Vol. 5, 2014, s. 1-2
I: Cognitive Media Theory. red. /Ted Nannicelli; Paul Taberham. Abingdon : Routledge 2014, s. 62-82 (AFI Film Readers)
I: Cognitive Linguistics, Vol. 25, Nr. 1, 2014, s. 99–147
I: International Review of Retail, Distribution and Consumer Research, Vol. 23, Nr. 3, 2013, s. 291-304
I: Book of Abstracts: Sign Evolution on Multiple Time Scales. NASS VIII. Aarhus : Aarhus Universitet 2013, 1 s., s. 35
Abstract from SCSMI Berlin 2013, 2013
I: Cognition and Emotion, Vol. 26, Nr. 7, 2012, s. 1223-1237
I: BIT's 1st Annual World Congress of SQ Foods - 2012: Theme: Science, Safety, Quality and Sustainability. Dalian : BIT Congress Inc. 2012, s. 105
I: Program for Society for Cognitive Studies of the Moving Image Conference, June 13-16, 2012www : SCSMI 2012, s. 7
I: The Evolutionary Review; Art, Culture, Science, Vol. 1, Nr. 1, 2010, s. 84-87
I: Book of Abstract FACT 2016: 2nd International Conference Food and Culture in Translation. Catania : Universita' Degli Studi Di Catania 2016, 1 s., s. 12
Frederiksberg : Copenhagen Business School, CBS 2014, 28 s.
Paper presented at Conference of the Society for Cognitive Studies of the Moving Image, 2010