Department of Management, Politics and Philosophy
- collaborative group work, in co-located and distributed settings
- art and innovation
- aesthetics and business competitiveness
- leadership within creative groups and organizations
- entrepreneurship and organizational creativity
My research and teaching address collaborative group work practices, innovation management, and the role of aesthetics and arts-based practices in processes of business value creation. My PhD thesis develops our understanding of a special form of collaborative work in which arts ensembles and innovative groups engage, which I call “ensembling.” I have coauthored two Harvard Business Press books on CEO and IT leadership, as well as several Harvard Business School teaching cases. My expertise using the Harvard Business School case-teaching method and as a theatre arts professional inform the way I create a dynamic, interactive classroom experience.
“Innovation and Art/Aesthetics” (7,5 ECTS), as part of the Cand. Soc. Masters program Organisational Innovation and Entrepreneurship
“Managing in the Creative Economy” (select sessions)
Students are welcome to contact me regarding research in the areas listed above.
- O’Donnell, Shannon. (2013). Making Ensemble Possible: How special groups organize for collaborative creativity in conditions of spatial variability and distance (Doctoral dissertation). Doctoral School of Organisation and Management Studies, Copenhagen Business School, Denmark.
- O’Donnell, Shannon. (2013). Reconceiving Constraint as Possibility in a Music Ensemble. In Brian Moeran and Bo T. Christensen (Eds.), Exploring Creativity: Evaluative practices in innovation, design and the arts (pp. 96-120). UK: Cambridge University Press
- O’Donnell, Shannon and Lee Devin. (2012). Collective Creativity: E-Teams and E-TeamWork. In Daniel Hjorth (Ed.), Handbook on Organisational Entrepreneurship (pp. 280-299). UK” Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Austin, Robert D., Richard L. Nolan and Shannon O’Donnell. (2012). Harder Than I Thought: Adventures of a Twenty-First Century Leader. Boston, MA: Harvard Business Press.
- Austin, Robert D., Richard L. Nolan and Shannon O’Donnell. (2009). The Adventures of an IT Leader. Boston, MA: Harvard Business Press.
Abstract from The 13th International Studying Leadership Conference. ISLC 2014, Frederiksberg, Denmark. 2014
Paper presented at The 30th EGOS Colloquium 2014, Rotterdam, Netherlands. 2014
In: Exploring Creativity: Evaluative Practices in Innovation, Design, and the Arts. . ed. /Brian Moeran; Bo T. Christensen. New York : Cambridge University Press 2013, p. 96-120
In: Handbook on Organisational Entrepreneurship. ed. /Daniel Hjorth. Cheltenham : Edward Elgar Publishing, Incorporated 2012, p. 280-299
Boston : Harvard Business School Press 2012, 310 p.
Paper presented at The 27th EGOS Colloquium 2011, Göteborg , Sweden. 2011
In: International Journal of Business Anthropology, Vol. 2011, No. Fall, 2011, p. 1-26
In: Communications of the Association for Information Systems (CAIS), Vol. 24, 2009, p. 315-332
In: Academy of Management Learning and Education, Vol. 8, No. 3, 2009, p. 337-355
Frederiksberg : Copenhagen Business School [Phd] 2013, 533 p. (PhD Series, No. 7.2013)
In: MPP News, Vol. 17, No. 1, 2014, p. 21-23